Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of IRONING Board >

What kind of IRONING Board

What kind of IRONING Board

Old 02-25-2011, 03:36 AM

Mine is an "antique' old wooden stand alone ironing board that must be now close to 100 years old........belonged to my great grandmother.........keep addng batting and re-covering.....but it is solid and works great.......
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that the steam has to go somewhere - on a standard ironing board, the excess steam goes through to the underside of the board. In set-ups where the steam does not have a place to go, the board itself, especially when made of wood or particle board, will warp rather quickly.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Years ago i found a wooden ironing board at a thrift shop. I liked it so much I got rid of my modern one. I think I would like a small board or tv tray version close to my sewing machine though.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM

I have a home made big board on top of my not-so-sturdy walmart ironing board. It now has a 30 degree angle as I've bent one of the legs. Looks like time to invest in a new ironing board.

Cheers, K
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Using the tutorial found on here, I made a 24X48 in pressing board that fits on top of my ironing board. I had so much stuff left over, I also made a little 18x18 inch one that I keep right next to me when I'm sewing smaller pieces and don't want to get up when I'm going a bunch. I've learned the hard way the importance of pressing as I go!! LOL
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Making a "big board" is easy & actually just sits on top of your existing standard board (it does not need to be attached, it is heavy enough to stay put) ....the top size is 24" x 60" (although you can make it as large as you want as long as your existing ironing board will support it) ...you use 1/2 birch plywood (cabinet grade) ...on the bottom of this 24 x 60 top attach 3 slats (approx 3/4 x 3/4) two are long (about 48 inches) and one is short (you will form a large "U" on the bottom of the 24 x 60 top) ...space the two long slats about 1 inch wider than the top of the short demension of your existing ironing board top ...attach the short slat at one end of the two long slats to form the "U" (this "U" will prevent the board from moving in 3 directions) ...to finish use thin cotton batting for padding (one or two thicknesses) and cover with a canvas material or the silver iron board cover material ...to get fancy attaching the cover sew a draw sting pocket around the edge or attach elastic & voila
Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ann L
Everyone has gotten very creative in making their ironing boards. I may have to get my husband to make me one. How do you secure the board on top of the ironing borad or does it just sit there and stay. I guess if I wouldn't go wild ironing it would be okay right? I am going to have to keep my eyes open for something flat and reusable. I feel good when I can repurpose something.
Making a "big board" is easy & actually just sits on top of your existing standard board (it does not need to be attached, it is heavy enough to stay put) ....the top size is 24" x 60" (although you can make it as large as you want as long as your existing ironing board will support it) ...you use 1/2 birch plywood (cabinet grade) ...on the bottom of this 24 x 60 top attach 3 slats (approx 3/4 x 3/4) two are long (about 48 inches) and one is short (you will form a large "U" on the bottom of the 24 x 60 top) ...space the two long slats about 1 inch wider than the top of the short demension of your existing ironing board top ...attach the short slat at one end of the two long slats to form the "U" (this "U" will prevent the board from moving in 3 directions) ...to finish use thin cotton batting for padding (one or two thicknesses) and cover with a canvas material or the silver iron board cover material ...to get fancy attaching the cover sew a draw sting pocket around the edge or attach elastic & voila
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM

I have one of the small ironing boards setting on a plastic storage tub at the side of my chair, making an L shape from the sewing table and press seams here we have a standard ironing board set up for large pieces but this is much handier for seam pressing. I also bought a cheap iron that just stays hot than plug all into power strip so that machine, lights, iron comes on than can turn off with one button. Safer that way don't forget the iron and leave it on.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM

My mom just gave me her monster ironing board. Circa late 50's I think. It's extra wide and I love it. I also have the June Taylor portable board, and a Olfa cutting mat that flips over to use for small items. The one I use the most is the monster. I have 3 irons. Why? I only have 2 hands. The monster board is across the room. That way I don't get TB (tired butt) from sitting too long. Yes, I did this on purpose.