Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of IRONING Board

Do you use - Do you have a free standing board or is it part of a cutting board or a table .

I am at the moment using my mother's old ironing board. I do have a 12 x 18 cutting and ironing pad to use for piecing. But I was thinking of covering a board with batting and flannel and incorporating it into the new cutting table I am planning on creating.

Any suggestions?

Mine is a big board on top of a dresser. The dresser wasn't quite tall enough so my son built a riser for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    I have a home made one that sits on top of my cutting table. I like it a lot because if I am pressing a quilt top or a lot of yardage I can slide it away from me as I press with no wrinkling.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a 15" wide board at Bed Bath & Beyone, with a wire shelf under it and iron rest. My DH is suppose to be making me a rectangle 24" x 48" to fit on top for ironing large pieces-I say "suppose to" because we have had the materials for 2 weeks and he hasn't gotten off the couch to do it yet! I also have an ironing blanket 21.75"x28.25" to use for small bits on the table when needed, and I have a mat my machine sits on that I can use the iron on for really small chores. I still tend to get up and use the iron board, though.

By the way, I finally hit 1000 posts!!! Yea!!

Power Poster
    I have a Big Board on top of my regular ironing board (a sturdy relic) that I love.

However, when that is covered with stuff, I use the June Tailor pressing/cutting thing for pressing small pieces.

Blog Entries
    My sister managed to get my mothers old ironing board that had an electrical plug for your iron built in (you plugged in the cord from the board to the outlet) and a retractible arm to hold your iron's cord out of the way. It was really sturdy, too. Wish I could somehow manage to convince her to give it to me!! They don't make 'em like they used to!!

I have a 2x8 piece of plywood with holes drilled in it, set on a cheap shelf with batting and a wool blanket. I am however in the process of doing a change up on the sewing room, so it might change, but probably size only.

Love my Rowenta ironing board...hubby got it for me from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Love my "Big Board" that I got back in the mid 90's. Sits on regular ironing board which makes height adjustable as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    My sister managed to get my mothers old ironing board that had an electrical plug for your iron built in (you plugged in the cord from the board to the outlet) and a retractible arm to hold your iron's cord out of the way. It was really sturdy, too. Wish I could somehow manage to convince her to give it to me!! They don't make 'em like they used to!!

I have one similar but mine is a lot larger than the american size ironing boards as it is from Germany. Have the electrical cord but 220 doesn't work here so am unable to use that feature now. Not sure of the exact width and length but it is more than double the American size and works well for me.

I have thought about the big board and am still considering it. Also have a small ironing station by my machine for when I am piecing so all of that work is done so only really need it for the final pressing of the front and back before quilting. I can see the advantage of having the big board just not thrilled about having to move it on and off for when I do my normal ironing....and yes I still iron our clothing old fashioned as that may sound.

Blog Entries
    I have a Mary Proctor double flip. Got it at a garage sale for $3. Had to pay $35 for the cover ;-) Has the outlet and cord holder and with both extensions flipped up, is a bit smaller than the big board, but it's rectangular. I also have a table top board.

I have a TV tray that sits next to my sewing machine that is covered with batting, thinsulate and the suilver ironing board cover fabric. Just staple to the bottom of the folding TV tray and you have a portable ironing table that is perfect to use while piecing.

I made mine from a scrap board 24 by48, covered it with foil, a scrap of old cotton mattress pad and an old sheet. It fits on the end of my cutting table and stores behind it when I'm done. I like having it right there when cutting blocks and strips.

I made an ironing mat to fit the top of my drafting table I use to cut and iron

Quote Originally Posted by bisbetica
    I have a TV tray that sits next to my sewing machine that is covered with batting, thinsulate and the suilver ironing board cover fabric. Just staple to the bottom of the folding TV tray and you have a portable ironing table that is perfect to use while piecing.
    Great idea! I think I'll borrow it. Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Mine is a big board on top of a dresser. The dresser wasn't quite tall enough so my son built a riser for it.
    I really like this!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have several ironing stations...
    I have a regular ironing board that is older and I love it because it can be lowered for when I am sitting down to iron while watching a movie.

I have my big area in the sewing room and I have a covered board by my machine.

I also have 2 smaller boards I made for taking to classes/retreats!

I made a big board to go on top of my regular ironing board. Just a piece of OSB plywood (7/16", I think?) cut 22 X 60 at Lowe's, covered with one layer of all-cotton batting and a scrap piece of very heavy canvas.

It cost about $10 to make and boy do I love it! I can press full widths of fabric or huge sections of quilt tops in one shot.

I need to take the canvas off and wash it and while it's off, I'm going to apply velcro to it so that I don't have to deal with the staples every time it needs washing. I'm also going to make a couple of pillowcase-type covers for it.

I bought some ironing board cover fabric. Laid a folded $2 ikea flat sheet on my card table, draped the cover fabric over and use that. One of these days I might attach it officially to the table but for now it is working fine. I sit to iron.

I just have a regular wide ironing board plus a small table top ironing board. I like to use the small one when I iron out the blocks before sewing them together.

I have my regular ironing board and then because I wanted my
    iron beside me I took a typewriter table (on wheels) made a
    padded top for it and it works great. I can move it where I want it and it is big enough for that piecing and ironing we need
    to do.

Flo from snowy NNY

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I have a Big Board on top of my regular ironing board (a sturdy relic) that I love.

However, when that is covered with stuff, I use the June Tailor pressing/cutting thing for pressing small pieces.
    What a great idea. I donot have a lot of room so a large board on the ironing board is a great idea. Then it can just be stored away when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I really like that, I may try to copy it.

Blog Entries
    1) For clothes, a regular folding ironing board hanging on the door. Rarely gets used. 2) have an ironing cover for the cutting table, which I cot from Handcocks. Love it to press WOF before cutting, ironing backings, and when working on whole quilts and gluing bindings. 3) made a slide-on ironing cover with hanging gadget pocket bag for side table of sewing table. Great for quick stitch-n-press without having to get up from machine. The room is small, so the iron is plugged in at that work site, and reaches the full length of the cutting/ironing table. 4) Made a portable ironing board out of my Daddy's classroom drafting board. Used a layer of Termabrite covered with heavy duty cotton duct, added a self made trim, finished with upholstery tacks. It has a unadorned drawer pull for easy carry convenience. I also have the carry bag he had made for the drafting board. I use it when I'm sewing away from home. I put the rulers and cutting mat in with the ironing board - they're well protected. Have cutting mat which I will adhere to back side of board. (Still contemplating how to cut and attach it - any ideas?) Have a TV table to put it on for weekend getaways (Use an anti slip sheet under it.) 4) Also have two omni-grid cut and press folders of different sizes for short, or light weight road trips. Both are convenient, and usually used with a mini iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle
    Quote Originally Posted by bisbetica
    Great idea! I think I'll borrow it. Thanks for sharing.
    I just bought a tv tray just for this purpose. Walmart has them for $8.50 each. I looked in the thrift stores but one place said the tv trays just fly out the door

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast