Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What kind of quilt to make?

Hopefully some of you have had experience or advice they can offer. I need to make a quilt for someone in Fiji. It's hot and humid. What fabric would you recommend for making the top? Is there any batting out there that has loft but will not make the quilt hot? How about backing? With moisture all the time, I'm concerned about the quilt molding. So what should I do?

Blog Entries
    I would piece the quilt with 100% cotton and then just add a backing dark enough to not be see through out of cotton and avoid batting altogether.
    I have seen many summer quilts made this way :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Use the polyester low loft but the kind that is like white steel wool not the fabric type. It will breathe and use light weight pima or batiste. Don't get too fancy on the squares but do pretty quilting in variegated thread. I did one for a friend in India and she loves hers. Polyester does not mildew or grow bacteria.

I like the idea os "summer quilt". Many Hawaiian quilts are made that way also.

Blog Entries
    When we lived on Guam, we still needed some sort of covers in the air conditioning for night. 100% cotton is the best with no batting.

You could always use muslin or a flannel for batting too - just prewash it so it doesn't shrink up ;)

I've made ones for babies out of seersucker, with no batting, just the two layers of fabric. Don't see why you couldn't do larger ones as well.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I second the 2-layer idea. Or use flannel for batting. Poly is definitely too hot no matter the thickness, I feel.

Jan in VA

Samoans make one that is only two layers. If you wanted to add something inside, Add a washed flannel. It has a bit of weight without being heavy.