Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of sewing machine do you have?

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome 6600 which is a fantastic little machine. I honestly cannot imagine ever needing anything more. I also have an old Viking 6570 which I adore. It is a workhorse and I use it at the quilt ministry I volunteer at.

Blog Entries
    Right now I have a broke one....

I would like a working one.....

My lovely daughter wanted gray thread, so she just grabbed some and threaded it through....
    Are you ready for this...

It was....
    upholstry thread

When everything jambed, she tried to "fix" it by forcing the needle up.
    I am ready to cry.
    This happened last night :(

I have an Babylock Espire cost me 1800 and love it, worth every penny
    I have a brother SQ9050 and XL-3500i cost me 200 & 109 both great for classes and piecing

Dream would be either the Babylock Ellisimo or Brother Quattro both at around 12000

I would even settle for a brother Isacord or duetta which run about 6000

Oh I forgot the babylock crown jewel if I ever get the room

I am currently sewing with a 1951 Singer 401A, purchased a couple of months ago. I'm really falling in love with this machine. I have a Janome 11000 that I really like for embroidery, but will not likely replace when it gives up the ghost. I also have a Janome MB4 for embroidery and like it a lot.

I free motion with a black Singer 301 longbed. What a great machine. Also, have a beautiful Singer 115 treadle in a parlor cabinet that's fun and a White VSII treadle that I patch jeans on.

There is a Janome 1600p in my Grace Pinnacle frame, and 2 Singer 222 Featherweights and a 221 Featherweight, just for the cute factor and travel.

I purchased a Janome 3160 QDC for traveling if I need more than a straight stitch, and it's a nice machine too. Must say though, the vintage machines outsew the plastic ones........

.And I'm not buying anything more unless it's a vintage machine and under $50.00. I'm done with expensive machines. Cannot justify the prices anymore.....they don't sew any better....and they need maintenance that I can't do myself.

I am still using 3 old Pfaffs. Also have a mid arm pfaff grand quilter with a grace frame.
    also a treadle and old odd brand, can't remember what it is.
    My mother's sears and grandmother's featherweight.
    I am blessed.

For my B-day, my sweet DH (I call him my enabler) got me a Bernina 830 LE. It is my dream machine! I had a Bernina 330 for my travel machine, but on Saturday, while I was shopping at my dealers anniversary sale, DH worked out a fantastic trade in, so now my travel machine is a 450. I am in heaven!

nothing fancy.....3 Featherweights, a Singer, a Brother and my latest is a nice Kenmore I found in a yard sale for $25.

I have a Singer treadle, a White treadle, 2 black Featherweights, 1964 White in a cabinet(it was my DMIL's), a Kenmore in a cabinet (I bought this @Goodwill for $10), a newer Singer(my DD has borrowed it), a Singer 99K, a Singer 301 (I learned how to sew on this), and a Euro-Pro that my SIL gave to me.

Janome 4800, good for piecing and SID, useless for FMQ
    A little Toyota that a friend gave me - don't use it so may give it away
    A Featherweight, which I LOVE and use for nearly all my piecing
    A recently-acquired Singer 201 that I'm still making friends with - am hoping it'll do the FMQ, but having problems at the moment

I'd like -

a Singer 301, but they weren't sold in Europe
    a treadle machine just for old times sake
    Something, anything that will do FMQ without arguing endlessly about the tension and won't throw a wobbly when I use supposedly machine quilting threads - they jam in the tension discs on both the Janome and the 201!

I have a Janome/Kenmore. I have several others and I would not pay over 1,000 for a new machine.

I have a Brother HS2000 which I adore. Only trouble is it has a tiny harp area. Have been eyeing a used Huskqvarna at JoAnn's, but can't afford it. The lady at the Brother dealership almost had a stroke when I told her I've been quilting twin sized quilts on my HS2000! She said it's only for piecing! I can't afford a separate machine for each step! Oh well, it's a champ in my book!! :-)

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking Sapphire 830 that I bought for $899 as the new models came out. I've got a Singer 201 in a cabinet that was a freebie from a friend and a Featherweight that I use most often. I am intrigued by the Juki machines...next time I need one, I might check them out.

I have a new home( which is now Jamone) that I bought in 1970, top of the line then, is a wonderful work horse, all metal, has a few decortive stitches, it is a flat bed in a cabinet and it has swen dozens of clothes, and a few baby quilts.... that was the only Machine I had ( sorry I was going to lie-) had myMIL's old singer treadle until it burned, now all I have of that one is the cast iron frame,looking for another treadle,
    A small light weight Singer I got at WW , just because I wanted something a bit newer// never satisiftied... then I saw the Jamone Horizon, and had to have it, the red front is nice, because I like red..... Not sorry I paid 2400

$ for it, right now I am just trying to use all the feet that came with it....... love it.amd lve the big throat/harp area.

I have a 35 year old Husqvarna/Viking which still sews beautifully.

Wouldn't have a clue what to replace it with if I ever had to. Would probably seek some guidance here.

I have 3 Janome machines, two of which are embroidery ones and both cost over $3000. but I have a DH who is an enabler. I embrodrey a lot especially for gifts.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I have a Juki TL98Q which I piece and FMQ on and a 6 year old Kenmore for anything that requires more than a straight stitch. No embroidery machine here; too expensive for me!

I have a brother 3000. Kids got it for me in 2001. I don't know anyone else who has it.

Blog Entries
    When I returned to work after raising my family, the first item I splurged on was my Bernina 1120. It has served me very well all these years (probably well over 30) and I couldn't begin to count the numerous items I created with it, from clothes to draperies and valances, to doll clothes, from quilts to tote bags.
    Several months ago, I discovered the darning foot and, with the feed dog down, now I free motion quilt. I never knew I could do this on my machine.
    Now I'm looking for a similar machine on Ebay, just in case I will need a back-up some day. I would not even think of purchasing one of the less expensive machines after having been the owner of a Bernina.

I sewed for 20 years on a crappy Singer I bought from my 2nd ever job at JoAnn's for $200. In 2010, I started buying enough quality new and vintage machines to more than make-up the deficit. I earn it, I spend it. I live within my means, send my kids to private school, give generously to charity plus friends and family when needed, pay my taxes. I have vintage Singers, vintage and new Berninas, two Pfaffs, a Baby Lock, and some cheaper machines for my kids and to loan. I'd like to sell or give away a few, but shipping is a pain and expense.

I'm with you, Helena! I love your name. Once I got my first Bernina 930 (from a super QB member, BTW) I was quickly converted!

Between my wife and I we have several machines. Nothing very expensive, but we are pleased with them.

Singer Comfort Quilter - my wife's 1st machine, not used much anymore.
    Brother Innov-is 80 - My wife's main machine.
    Janome 3160 QDC - my main machine, really like this machine. The thread cutter is really handy.
    Brother PE 780D - Nice little embroidery machine
    Brother Runway HS2000 - Nice little portable machine

Seems we kept seeing new machines with features we liked, but I hope we now have the machines we both like. The next steps up get quite expensive. We have to keep reminding ourselves this is just a hobby and not spend a fortune on big fancy equipment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I can't afford the expensive machines...right now I'm saving my pennies for an embroidery machine, but I can't afford and expensive embroidery machine either! :lol:

I have a lot of machines, but really, except for the midarm, have not paid much for any of them.
    SAME HERE I HAVE A TOTAL OF 10 MACHINES AND THE CHEAPEST WAS 10.00 AT A YARD SALE AND MOST WAS A BRAND NEW WHITE 1088 FOR 325.00 YEARS AGO.I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A LONG ARM BUT WITH LIMITED SPACE AND MONEY IT IS NOT IN MY FUTURE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE NOW.

I have a Brother pacsetter 8500 about ten years old was not all that expensive it embroiderys. also have elna quilters dream and a new brother sq 9000 and I love it, very cheap and ti does everything my big brother does except embroidery. also have a brother serger.

I forgot I also have 5 singer featherwieghts and a 201 singer

Blog Entries
    WOW! So many different machines..
    Heres my list:
    Singer 401A red S
    Singer 1941 FW
    Janome 1502
    Kenmore 158-1212180

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast