Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of thread do you prefer for your longarm? >

What kind of thread do you prefer for your longarm?

What kind of thread do you prefer for your longarm?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 PM

When I got my Tin Lizzie, Superior threads were recommended. I've also used Signature, but Superior left much less lint.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

The connecting threads are very nice but, you do get lint. I clean the bobbin area with every bobbin change.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by franie
I use a lot of dif threads. But one thing I noticed with the lint and fuzz issue is that I changed the batting and used some of the same thread that had fuzzed on me another time and I had less fuzz in the bobbin area. So I am thinking a lot of the lint is from the batting. I clean every time I change the bobbin. I really like Essentials threads.
What type of batting do you like to use to have less lint?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
I'm using Signature 40 weight cotton thread with good results. Yes, there's a lot of lint to clean regularly, but not a problem.
Have you ever tried the Signature 50 weight cotton? It says that it is low on lint and Atlanta Thread has it for $8.00/cone.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 AM

I have been using thread from this site - I saw them at MQX in Providence RI and got a free spool. It is Poly, not expensive, not linty and works in my Voyager 17 beautifully.

http://www.bobbincentral.com/Embroid...hreads_s/2.htm

I have also use Connecting Thread's "Essential Thread" and it is very nice and my choice for looks but does generate a bit of lint as it is cotton.

I do not use serger thread. Serger thread is designed to be light weight and to have multiple strands used on one seam.

There is another thread that has additional comments
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54750-1.htm#1309731
Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Originally Posted by franie
I use a lot of dif threads. But one thing I noticed with the lint and fuzz issue is that I changed the batting and used some of the same thread that had fuzzed on me another time and I had less fuzz in the bobbin area. So I am thinking a lot of the lint is from the batting. I clean every time I change the bobbin. I really like Essentials threads.
What type of batting do you like to use to have less lint?
I used Hobb's Poly Down and wow less lint. I think the needle up and down picks up lint from the Warm & Natural. Does that seem true?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:03 PM

I'm using Signature 40 weight cotton thread with good results. Yes, there's a lot of lint to clean regularly, but not a problem.
Have you ever tried the Signature 50 weight cotton? It says that it is low on lint and Atlanta Thread has it for $8.00/cone.
No, I haven't tried any other type of thread. I am purchasing thread currently from the Sewing Machine Dealer from whom I purchased the Gammill longarm. We also had a speaker from Western Washington at our Quilt Guild a couple of months ago who also recommended 40 weight thread for long arm machines. 50 weight cotton would be finer, but I have been told that with the Gammill machine you can use a variety of thread types. A tension adjustment might be necessary when changing thread types.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

No, I haven't tried any other type of thread. I am purchasing thread currently from the Sewing Machine Dealer from whom I purchased the Gammill longarm. We also had a speaker from Western Washington at our Quilt Guild a couple of months ago who also recommended 40 weight thread for long arm machines. 50 weight cotton would be finer, but I have been told that with the Gammill machine you can use a variety of thread types. A tension adjustment might be necessary when changing thread types.
Great - thank you. Did you buy your Gammill from Boersma in McMinnville, OR or someone else? I got mine from Jack Boersma.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Great - thank you. Did you buy your Gammill from Boersma in McMinnville, OR or someone else? I got mine from Jack Boersma.[/quote]

I bought my Gammill from Jack Boersma in McMinnville also! When you buy 3 spools of the 3000 yard spools of thread, you get the 4th one free. I always buy 4 spools or more at a time! :-)