Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What kind of thread?

Blog Entries

What kind of thread?

When machine quilting on a regular sewing machine, what kind of thread do you use , does it matter? all cotton, cotton blend, polyester? thx

Not all will agree, but I use whatever I have that I think will look good.

I do agree, use what ever you would like.

Blog Entries
    yup- I agree too...use what works, is the correct color and you like using. different machines have their own *likes/dislikes* when it comes to threads- so, if you have a favorite- that works well in your machine- use it- I use lots of different threads- often polyester for quilting- because it is strong, I have a large selection of colors and my machine likes it- very seldom do I use cotton for quilting- for me it tends to break often- is not as strong as polyester- I do use it for piecing sometimes. I also quilt with silk thread, aurifil and monofilament (invisible thread) you can quilt with anything you want. *don't stress the small stuff*.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I am another one in the do what suits you and looks good category.

Blog Entries
    my machine likes gutterman and sulky...I think any would work if the tension is set correctly.

Blog Entries
    The type of thread doesn't matter as much as the correct needle size for the size and wt of the thread. 50 wt thread is 3 ply and some are 2 ply. That makes difference. It took me a long time to realize thread and needle size have to work together.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use the Connecting Threads cotton thread 50 weight for piecing and for quilting right now. Piecing is done with neutrals, quilting with matching colors. I do have some polyester cones that I will use when the color matches.

Kas
    I am not a big fan of polyester. It is always behaving badly for me. I like the look of either a 50wt or 40wt cotton. I have used Sulky, YLI, Mettler, Robison-Anton, and Coats & Clark and have never been sad. I have just purchased some Presencia and some Connecting Threads brand, but haven't tried them yet.
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

I too use what I have on hand. As long as it matches. My machine isn't picky thank goodness

I use Connecting Threads for piecing.. and sometimes for quilting but I love love love Glide thread for quilting. I use it in my sit down Lizzie. I haven't tried it in my Juki 2000 but I'm sure it will sew up just as nicely. You can get Glide at some quilt shops but you can also order directly from them at www.bobbincentral.com I had emailed and asked if I could get a sample before buying a bunch and they sent me a small cone of it and some of their magna glide bobbins. Love love love my Glide thread..