Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is this machine, and is it appropriate for quilting?

Originally from Canada living in Pucallpa, Peru
    It reminds me of a JUKI machine industrial machine. I think it might be worth a try.

Chuck the machine and swap yours out with that table!!!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

You might need to change out the needle and thread and maybe readjust the tension, but it most likely will work. It will depend on your sewing level somewhat because it does go several times faster than the average home machine. Find a practice quilt and try it...you would want to do that with any machine anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
    mgm- don't even talk to me about where the cars are. My car hasn't seen the inside of the garage...well, maybe ONE time. He's always got some project going in there. Usually it involves fixing someone ELSE's vehicle...
    He's got this whole thing built on casters so he can wheel it around/outside if he needs to, and the machine is also on wheels and slides right into that space. The middle section will store his fabric rolls/bolts.
    Can he make a table for your machine so that he can roll his out and slide yours right into that space?

Blog Entries
    It is likely the machine is used for heavy stuff with heavy thread - that will change your tensions. You might get an extra bobbin case just for lighter weight thread then only have to adjust the top tension when you transition. Can you shoot a picture of the foot? If it is a straight foot it would quilt - you can reset the clutch so it goes slower at first. Use finer needles and thread then rework the tensions. A high shank darning foot or a commercial darning foot may fit it. If it is a dedicated walking foot you won't like free motion with that. If you are doing straight grid type quilting, you might like it if it is set up for it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Try it out. My guess is your husband won't get a look - in after you get going.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    I believe you can get a modified foot peddle that better controls the speed on the commercial machines

The commercial machines are geared much faster. One step on that pedal and you are in the next county. Watch your fingers or better yet, just let hubby use it.

I worked in a jeans factory in Missouri. Worse 3 months of my life; stifling hot and poorest pay. Almost every day some little newbie sewed her thumb to the pocket or whatever.

I remember looking at a commercial machine (Juki) and it had a well filled with heavy black oil, just under the front of the machine. Makes sense in a high speed, high production area. Just be sure to check and see if there's such a thing in your machine, as the oil could spill out if not handled carefully....a real mess.

Suz
    Regarding the machine: The industrial machines sew very fast. Infact if you have ever sewed on one and then go to a domestic machine, you will repeatedly say, "hurry up, hurry up". I believe you could successfully use it for piecing. These machines give beautiful even stitches. And if you can control the speed, you should be able to free-motion quilt on it. I think it would be worth a try.

In my former life, I had an industrial machine which I used in home decorating projects; i.e, all window treatments, slipcovers, bedspreads, pillows, shams, tablecloths, etc. I loved working on that "old workhorse". (I had a pretty good client following.)

I can't help U with identifing the machine, but the table is wonderful. I would love to have one.

I don't think there is enough open space.You would have to fight too much with all the fabric and end up with very poor results.jmho.

I don't know about the machine, but that table is to die for!
    Pat

Wow nice! Take it on a test run and see what you get, hope its good news, let us know.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Blog Entries
    I love it...I have been looking for a sewing machine like it. Maybe some day. NICE!!!!

I'd give it a try on some muslin layered up with batting like a quilt. You might try consulting with a good sewing machine repair shop in your area. Have seen similar machines at SewingMachine.Com brick and mortar store here in Atlanta.

That table is FABULOUS! wow!

Blog Entries
    This looks like the same setup I had years ago for doing upholstery

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    The table is fabulous. I have a pretty good set up but my machine is still about an 1 1/2 above the table top. To have a machine flush with the top and so much space to lay out a quilt is terrific. Great place to make curtains too.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
    Have you looked for the makers plate under the machine. When you tip the machine back the plate is normealy there.

I would agree that more than likely it will not work for quilting.

What are you piecing with and how big is the quilt?

Very nice table but where do you park your cars?
    Maybe outside--More people in Alaska park their cars outside while their garages are full of snowmachines and 4-wheelers and junk. We park our cars indoors. Nothing like getting into a warm car and no snow or ice to remove. Or maybe this lady lives in warmer climes.

<<<<<>>>>>

I agree with Battle Axe.. It's your husband's machine, let him use it..Even my Juki TL98 scared the heck out of me, the first time I stepped on the pedal...

As long as you are doing a straight stitch it would be great for quilting. I am sorry I let my comercial machine go. Just try on a sample first.

Your set up looks ready for success at machine quilting!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Hurry!!! Go get your material and spread it out over the table and under the sewing machine!!!
    Tell your husband...thanks for the great table and machine...love you. Will that work? Will he
    get the hint you want a table like his also?

Blog Entries
    wouldn't work too good on quilting and fabric like we use. I have a Brother and put a larger pulley and belt and motor on it to slow it down. Now the table is awesome. I would like that in my new addition. My DH said I could get one added on this summer hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by GABBYABBY View Post
    Hurry!!! Go get your material and spread it out over the table and under the sewing machine!!!
    Tell your husband...thanks for the great table and machine...love you. Will that work? Will he
    get the hint you want a table like his also?
    LOL! think it'll work?

Dee
    A wonderful find. I want that table.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast