Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What machine do you use for piecing/quilting >

What machine do you use for piecing/quilting

What machine do you use for piecing/quilting

Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Originally Posted by retired2pa
Quilterguy....I had a Simplicity machine (don't remember the model) several years ago. It worked great and why I got rid of it is beyond me :( Probably because I upgraded to a Brother embroidery/sewing machine and thought I only needed to have the one machine. WRONG! It wasn't long until I bought another Brother machine (like the Simplicity) to use for piecing. That way I wasn't changing the embroidery machine back and forth. You are sooooo lucky to get 2 Featherweights!!! I'm envious!! How did you acquire them?
I got the '51 from eBay and the other I bought from a guy named John Bryant (featherweight poppy) in Salisbury, NC. Great guy, great machine, & great service. If I needed another one I'd be getting in touch with him again.
Where in NC. What is his address. My girlfriend wants one of those featherweights so bad. She can't find one they are so rare. Thank you in advance. hugs, Jan
Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM

I was looking at his web last night!!! Great machines and his prices were reasonable, I thought. I'd love to have one of those white ones :)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 PM

What is his web site?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM

His web address is www.featherweight-poppy.com hope he can help you too. good luck!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by janluna
What is his web site?
Here is his web site:

http://www.featherweight-poppy.com/john_003.htm
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I use my Juki unless I need a decorative stitch, then I use my Bernina or Kenmore.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM

I piece with a 40-yr. old Viking. It has a perfect straight stitch.

Quilt with a Viking Rose, about 9 yr. old. It can be tensioned for beautiful free motion quilting.

Embroider with a Brother Innovis 1200. I sometimes like to use embroidered blocks, especially for babies.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
His web address is www.featherweight-poppy.com hope he can help you too. good luck!!!
Thank you so much. My friend Janice will be thrilled.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Ok I was right. She is on the moon with his site and his email. Thank you again. Hugs, Jan
Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 AM

Sewing machines: Pfaff 2040, 2170 embroidery (use it for both emb & quilting) - in CT. Don't remember the Pfaff # in AZ, but it's newer than the ones in CT - but it isn't an embroidery machine. I bought my first Pfaff because I wanted the even-feed feature. Never again had to put a walking foot on a sewing machine, and I can use fancy stitches with it, which I could NOT do with a walking foot.

Someone on another thread said you can't sew fancy stitches with Pfaff's even-feed feature. My dealer said she may have confused another 'can't do' feature about the even-feed feature. Some of Pfaff's FEET don't work with the even-feed connection, because it won't 'click' into them, because the BACK of the foot doesn't have the slot for the even feed connection that drops down behind the foot. This explanation is probably clear as mud to non-Pfaff owners. Sorry, but I couldn't think of another way to describe it.

Sergers: Pfaff Hobbylock 4870 serger in Ct; newer Hobbylock in AZ, but I don't remember which model - it has the coverstitch, and I LOVE it.

Re sergers - I took the 'ALL sergers with no fear' class from Jill McCloy a couple years ago, and I no longer fear changing tension. She taught us how to analyze what's wrong with tension & how to fiddle with it. And how to change tension depending on what kind of stitch you want to do. The books (if you still have one) don't really help much - they need translators!