Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What machine quilting pattern to use for a OBW? >

What machine quilting pattern to use for a OBW?

What machine quilting pattern to use for a OBW?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 AM

fireworkslover - If you open these links I'll explain
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27510-1.htm
The first two (Pirouettes) the meander was done in Bottom Line (top and bobbbin) Cream. The feathers in the border I did with Mettler Silk Finish top, and Bottom Line Cream in the bobbin.
"Will-o'-the-Wisp" I did the meander with Bottom Line black top & bobbin, but Superior Metallic Gold top & Bottom Line bobbin.
Chrysanthoscopes I used a variegated pink/lilac Superior King Tut in the whole quilt - but I was not so happy with the main body of it. Its fine in the borders but I considered unpicking the meander as I thought it looked too "heavy", but thought the needle marks would still show so I left it.

This one I have been quilting today - will post when the binding is finished. I have done the body of quilt with Superior Masterpiece (a dk red), and the black border is a sort of feather motif done in three colours of Masterpiece, red, orange and yellow - and I'm very happy with it.
I played around with doing something more fancy in the main quilt, but with some blocks which have more background, and others "busy" with the flowers, I decided to go again for a meander.

I know Bottom Line is marketed mainly as a bobbin thread but it really is so good for fine quilting, and there is a good range of colours too.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
katrine, your quilting and quilts are stunning!
Thanks Sandpat - still learning, don't look too closely at the stitches - but I want to do fmq without having to trace or draw the pattern on, so there's a bit of artistic interpretation!!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
i love your OBW...i am just now thinking about making one. i have bought the book and have read through it several times and you made it sound easy and you made it in 4.5 hours! i think mine will take me 4.5 months!! :lol: :lol: Have you got a picture of the original fabric of the one in your avatar? I just love to see the before and after pictures.
No pic. yet but the original fabric is macaws,parrots, toucans and other tropical birds all sitting in green leafy foliage. Thus the title is "Parrots, Toucans, Macaws, Oh My!" There's 16 colors in the print. And the OBW effect really works, even with all those colors. Look closely at my avatar and you can find parrot heads, bodies, tails, etc. So Fun!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
fireworkslover - If you open these links I'll explain
The first two (Pirouettes) the meander was done in Bottom Line (top and bobbbin) Cream. The feathers in the border I did with Mettler Silk Finish top, and Bottom Line Cream in the bobbin.
"Will-o'-the-Wisp" I did the meander with Bottom Line black top & bobbin, but Superior Metallic Gold top & Bottom Line bobbin.
Chrysanthoscopes I used a variegated pink/lilac Superior King Tut in the whole quilt - but I was not so happy with the main body of it. Its fine in the borders but I considered unpicking the meander as I thought it looked too "heavy", but thought the needle marks would still show so I left it.

This one I have been quilting today - will post when the binding is finished. I have done the body of quilt with Superior Masterpiece (a dk red), and the black border is a sort of feather motif done in three colours of Masterpiece, red, orange and yellow - and I'm very happy with it.
I played around with doing something more fancy in the main quilt, but with some blocks which have more background, and others "busy" with the flowers, I decided to go again for a meander.

I know Bottom Line is marketed mainly as a bobbin thread but it really is so good for fine quilting, and there is a good range of colours too.
Thank you so much for the info. You know those designs in the border of "Chrysanthoscopes" look an awful lot like fireworks bursts... I've done very similar stitching on a black border of the first fireworks quilt challenge quilt I made.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 AM

ssshhh I meant them to look like chrysanths!!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
ssshhh I meant them to look like chrysanths!!
I know and they do, but...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 PM

OH my, those OBW's are beautiful. It is not at all what I thought it was. I think I have a book for OBW's. I'll have to check my library when I get home.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

FWL I would love to see more pics of your avatar quilt. I think I saw that fabric in a QS in Holland a while back - wish I'd got some now!

I can't add to what Katrine said (SHE taught me!) except to say that I do meanders in the main body, sometimes I go 'swirly' round a particular block to emphasise it. In my Turning Over a New Leaf one I posted recently, I did FMQ leafy shapes in a variegated thread but you have to look close to see it. As for the border treatments - see Katrine's! I can't come anywhere close! :D
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
FWL I would love to see more pics of your avatar quilt. I think I saw that fabric in a QS in Holland a while back - wish I'd got some now!

I can't add to what Katrine said (SHE taught me!) except to say that I do meanders in the main body, sometimes I go 'swirly' round a particular block to emphasise it. In my Turning Over a New Leaf one I posted recently, I did FMQ leafy shapes in a variegated thread but you have to look close to see it. As for the border treatments - see Katrine's! I can't come anywhere close! :D
Do you do your stitching from the front side or the back?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
k3n
Power Poster

From the front. Having said that, this afternoon I've been quilting a chicken one with a toning variegated thread and it's the very devil to see. I'm short sighted and in the end I took my specs off and practically had my nose pressed to the quilt! My FMQ is not usually that bad but today for some reason it REALLY stinks! Oh well it's done now and luckily it tones so well it hardly shows! :D I'm going to do a couple of parallel lines round the 3" border then just got to bind it and I'll post pics. :-D