Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Machine should i buy!? >

What Machine should i buy!?

What Machine should i buy!?

Old 03-30-2020, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
If I have to take a loan out for a sewing machine....I can’t afford it. Happy shopping.
With that logic nobody would live in a home!
I've never bought a sewing machine on credit but I've bought furniture. When they have 1 year same as cash ( or something like that- times vary) I jump on it. We added a new room and needed several pieces so it was a great way to do it all at once.

As far as machines go I can't help you because i'm not familiar with that brand. But I love the "same as cash' type of purchase, as long as you make the payments you won't pay any fees.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:27 AM

I got myself a used APQS Lucey......about eight years ago....I now have done 56 quilts on her....not a huge amount....but enough that I am really, really glad I got her.....yep...all Lucey does is quilt....I did not get a computer with her....so it is all free motion. but she has a stitch regulator and a needle up and down...I mainly do just meander plus on her...like I throw leaves or bubbles or something simple in...I have done a bit of ruler work....but not often...my main idea in getting my own longarm was so I could get the quilts done....and oh my! Quilting on a long arm is soooo....muchhhhh..easier than on a domestic sit down...no having to baste the layers together, and no fighting with the quilt under the needle no matter how long a neck you have on your sit down machine...yep...I would do this all over.....APQS periodically has demo or used machines....the demo machines usually come with a life-time warranty. There are other long arms out there....but I picked APQS cuz they are fairly easy to maintain and even repair if needed without having to send the head in to the company unless it really is messed up....I have only done routine oiling and cleaning on mine.....I think I shy away from the do everything machines....cuz then there is so much that can go wrong and then what do you have to use while it is being repaired....I find I generally piece 5-6 quilts....then go down and quilt them (Lucy lives in the basement...only room just barely big enough to hold her, everything else is done upstairs)
Old 03-31-2020, 04:56 AM

Thumbs up Thank you! Iceblossom

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to win the lottery? And grats to all those that have big spaces and big budgets. Undecided, I understand your situation, I had access to a friend's long arm that I no longer have and my backlog is piling up. Trying not to think about it but over 20 by now and I used to be the "finish every quilt" type.

Set a budget that you can afford. Figure out what you need to put down and what you want to pay per month and start saving for it now as you make your decisions -- you might give yourself a bigger or smaller budget with the reality of it in the budget. For new machines there will be sales, prices will go down, and some people will trade back. Sometimes though you just come across a super offer and you know when you have to take it -- and you will be ready.

Yes, it is/can be expensive but I can say that I spend more time at my sewing machine than I do in my car. A lot of people trade up several times and actually lose more money in the long run. You already know most of what you want, make a list and put down some "it would be nice to have". One of the things I found about the machine my friend gave me is that it has a proprietary bobbin and I can't buy pre-wound bobbins. Might not bother other people, but especially with embroidery I would want a big pile of available bobbins.

Now, look at your available space? Does that put any constraints on you? For me I would so love and so need a frame but I have a small house and that would mean giving up on any sort of living room. Which, on the one hand, we don't really use. But on the other hand, I already have the small bedroom as my sewing room. My friend was rather unprepared for the shear amount of space it took to store her embroidery machine and all it's gear even with a dedicated sewing room and Koala cabinet. The thread, the hoops, the this and that. One of the sit-down set-ups is still too large for anywhere in my house except to take out the couch -- but can fit in some houses better than the stand up and can be a great option.

And third, look at the time factor. With my backlog and I piece quickly enough that I could easily make a quilt a month, it would be used often enough to not collect dust. I can say from the time I had available on my friend's set up that I needed to use that long-arm regularly or else it really showed in my results and what I could do, if it had been more than 3 months since I last quilted I had to run some practice pieces first. If you are only going to use a long arm a couple times a year, does it still justify the amount of space it takes?

Sometimes it is entirely justifiable to give yourself an ample budget to have someone else quilt your quilts. While I can and do my own work, I'd be happy with a bigger budget and having someone with a set of skills I don't have improve my projects.

For me I had hoped to find someone's home long arm to rent a couple days a month, don't see that happening in the Seattle area now this year and am just going to ignore the to be quilted pile until it falls down on top of me.

Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy your purchases. We deserve nice things. I rather enjoy my vintage machines too, but yeah... there are things I can't do well on them and that includes machine quilting. Other people can machine quilt a queen sized project on a featherweight but that's not my skill set!
wow thank you for your thoughtful reply, i have read it and I am thinking. I will be reading it again. it was extremely helpful!
Old 03-31-2020, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Undecided- I send my large quilts out to be longarmed. It's totally worth the money for me. I don't want a LA but my bed is a King so I need someone else to wrestle with that thing!
I can do anything smaller on my Bernina 770 or my Juki TL2010Q.

I'm so glad there are people who have LA's .

Last edited by SusieQOH; 03-31-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 AM

@sewingpup wow! good thinking point on the QITH...I was thinking it might be an option, but maybe not really....

I am off to look up the lucy

Last edited by undecided; 03-31-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
But I love the "same as cash' type of purchase, as long as you make the payments you won't pay any fees.
yes they are offering 60 mos no interest, so I think that is what you mean? I would love to just have the lump sum....and in theory if I just tuck away the payment amount each month, in 5 years i would be able to pay cash---boy i would have some quilting to do then LOL!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:20 AM

I'm not clear on whether you have a machine to do piecing on or if you need that, too? Or if you have that and are just looking for a machine to do quilting on?

I have a sitdown Tiara for quilting and I love it. I don't have a problem spray basting or moving the quilt on the table with a suspension system, so it works great for me.
I was convinced I was going to buy a long arm and I rented time on one many times and tried to use it and just couldn't get the hang of it, so be sure to try one out before you make any decisions. In fact, be sure to give any machine a good trial before you make any decisions, if at all possible. Don't be afraid to ask for a deal or add ons from a retailer.
I agree with making a list of things you absolutely need, things you'd like and things you can do without. Also consider buying used...It can save you money and allow you to buy a better machine than you might be able to afford new. Be sure that you have tech support in your area for whatever machine you choose.
Take your time and watch out for on-line deals from legit companies, especially right now.
Let us know what you decide!

Watson
Old 03-31-2020, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by undecided View Post
yes they are offering 60 mos no interest, so I think that is what you mean? I would love to just have the lump sum....and in theory if I just tuck away the payment amount each month, in 5 years i would be able to pay cash---boy i would have some quilting to do then LOL!
Yes, that's what I meant. Wait 5 years? Ugh!!! haha.
Let us know what you decide and good luck!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 PM

I got all my large machines on the 0 interest. Its the only way i could afford them. Quilting in hoop can be tedious even with a large hoop. I do love the brother high end machines i have the dreamweaver 6200d, super easy to use, no issues, low maintenance. I will say however that i haven't used all the features which is why i never upgraded to dream machine or lumiere but if wasnt paying on my longarm i would consider it
Old 04-01-2020, 03:59 PM

I'm 80 years old, have the Brother Luminaire & totally love it, no problems, I do regular sewing, embroidery, make quilt labels with a lot of wording detail & sometimes poems, and free motion quilting, all without any problems.
I also have the sit down Tiara but actually like the free motion quilting on the Luminaire better, less fuss & thinking of selling the Tiara.
The last week or two spending hours making face masks, the auto features in sewing make it so much easier to go as fast as possible.