Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the featherweights such an awesome find?

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I'm relatively new to this particular craft, though I've been sewing for 51 years. I am curious why there is such enthusiasm over finding an older Singer featherweight sewing machine. What makes them so special, other than they are not made with the stupid plastic parts that so many modern machines are made of?

I like Featherweights because they are not made with stupid plastic parts, are easy to carry to class, sew a perfect straight line, and are too cool!

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

I don't have a featherweight, am not lookin for one, however if I was given one I would probably keep it.

It's small, it's cute, it sews a beautiful straight seam, it's easy to take care of, and it's nice to take with you when you aren't sewing at home.

Welcome from Central California :)

All of the above.

Welcome aboard! Some of us just really like vintage machines. The Featherweight is just one of the ones that's really, really cute. It's the quilter's equivalent of owning a vintage car.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I'm going to NY in August to visit my Mom. I'm bringing her some pajamas I made for her and can hem them if I need to or adjust the waist etc with my little Featherweight.
    Besides the "featherweight" feature they are well made and beautiful!! My husband and I love antiques and he wishes I would leave it out but I keep it in the case. Too many cats who own us :D

Banned
    There's plastic and then there's plastic. Some of today's plastics will outlive and out perform metal. Not all sewing machines are created equally either.

Hello and welcome from Ontario.

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!! I don't own a Featherweight yet, but am looking for one!! I have health issues and can't lift a heavy machine to classes. This would help me and I LOVE the looks of them!!

Blog Entries
    I consider mine an antique. it was born in 1947 and is only 10 years younger than me and I'm an antique. (some days) LOL

Blog Entries
    Hello there, welcome from northern Minnesota!

I think if I came upon a featherweight that was a good deal I'd get it, just because I think they're so cute!

FWs are cute, light, and sew well. They are easy to maintain and if you need to replace a part, it's not difficult to do and original and reproduction parts are readily available. There is also a certain cachet in owning one.

I have 3 -- a 1960-something white (named Blanche), a 1939 black with a scroll faceplate (named Spike) and a 1951 Centennial model (which I haven't named yet). I use Blanche almost exclusively, but the other two sew just as well. I take her with me when I go to a sewing meeting or class, unless I will need a machine where I can drop the feed dogs. If I'm going to a several day retreat, I usually take one of my Berninas, but I take Blance as my back-up machine, since she is light and doesn't take up too much space.

I don't know where you're located, but if you ever have a chance to hear Nova Lynn Montgomery, she has a great presentation on the FWs and does a workshop on maintenance and cleaning your FW. She lives in Huntsville, TX, and has spoken to several of the guilds in our area.

Blog Entries
    Featherweight machines are so reliable.. You get it out, plug it in and start stitching.. perfect straight even stitches every time.. Comes in a case so it's easy to carry and it's light weight! They are easy to stick in a corner of the car, hubby doesn't always ask "are you sure you have to bring that too?" Sort of like an old faithful dog.. Just happy to be out and does it's best every time!! I have a beautiful, new, expensive, machine, but love my dear old featherweight.. we go back a long long time! I don't leave home without it.

I've been thinking about getting a featherweight because I understand it sews very well and is light weight. When I take classes I have to lug my Pfaff 7550 around and, while I'm careful, it still gets banged around a bit. I only have one sewing machine but need a smaller, lighter one for classes.

Aw, I just think they are the cutest. I dont have one either, too expensive for me right now!

I have Feather Weight and don't sew with it, hubby does though, but I like the vintage machines. I am waiting on a belt for a treadle 66 and hope to sew with that. Also getting a project ready for a Singer 15-91 electric. I love the history and the nostalgia. They also sew very nice and are wonderful to work on. I learned to sew on an old mechanical Pfaff and really like those older machines.

I really like the way they sound and sew. I got mine of Ebay for $120.00 and had it gone over by a Singer dealer for $60.00. It sews such a straight stitch.

I like mine because it is a part of history and I love the look of it. I still need to have it refurbished, and when I do will probably take it to my quilting goup. I think it will be fun to sew on.

Banned
    I have to admit that ever since I started this board. I had no interest in the older machines until I kept seeing them. I called my mom who is an advid antique shoper to keep an eye out for me. She finally asked me why I wanted one. I had to admit that since everyone else has one I need one. Yes I am a follower. I now think they are so cool!

I have 7 featherweight machines.I started collecting them about 5 years ago.I purchased a freearm one from Great Britian.They are to me,like a pet is to someone else.They sew great and take up such a small amount of space.They are awesome!!I just sold one to a lady on this newsletter. Can't bring myself to sell anymore.Such great conversation pieces.I have a tan one and a green/white one and one that I personally had painted pink.Love them!!!!!!

Welcome aboard, you will really enjoy this group. Very friendly and helpful. Is there a special reason why you chose cheshirecatquilter for your user name. I use cheshirecat as part of a user name also.

My husband bought me one when we had our 1st daughter. I used it for years then gave it to my son and then we gave it to a friend. That would make it over 50 years old.

I have 2 featherweights and love the stitch it makes. I bought the 1st one from ebay and a cousin came to visit one day and gave me her mother's machine and the card table that was purchased with it. After friends saw mine I have helped 5 others find a featherweight for themselves mostly through ebay--one was one of those "rare finds" for a friend and the man wanted $40.00 for it-I had a $50.00 bill and asked if he had change and he looked and he had $20's but nothing smaller. I told him that was OK-take the the 50 and I'll just tell my friend that is how much it cost. He told me it doesn't have a light bulb or needle. It had a very good original manual and all the attachments. My friend was blown away. :>)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast