Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the featherweights such an awesome find?

LaurieE, I believe you have my dog! His name is Oscar and he has a little black/tan brother called Albert. Oscar and Albert Wiener-Stewart!!! And my favourite FW is the same age as me 1940. PS Just joking, they are in their basket watching me type.

My mother takes her featherweight on travel to do projects on the days where my dad wants to go to a engine/machine show.

My mother has collected about 30 featherweights as investments, in the event that anyone is looking for one.

Power Poster
    I don't have one but everyone I know who has one loves them.

They have even feed - no shifting of the seams while you're sewing, much easier to get perfect points, etc.

Should have mentioned I have 4 of them. I can't switch back and forth between machines though because I sew just a little bit different on each one.

Look on ebay under Singer Featherweight Sewing Machines :)

I've just become the proud owner of two that I bought on eBay. I don't plan on buying any more though. Since I purchased them, I haven't got to sew on them but am looking forward to it.

Welcome from Minnesota!! By the way I am glad you asked that question - I have wondered that myself!! Happy Quilting!

I would love a Featherweight . I have seen them for sale at quilt shows and drooled over them. And someday I hope to have one... I keep hopeing to find one at a garage sale or someone who knows someone has one they want to get rid of lol I have a Janome but there is just something about a machine that I can oil to keep it maintained lol .... Ahhhh the smell of sewing machine oil lol

I have two and I love them both. One is 1948 and the other is a 1951 Centennial. They both sew just great. If you are looking for a way to maintain them, Billy, a member of this board, has several threads about them. One is called Vintage Sewing Machine Shop. The other three are all tutorials on how to clean and maintain them. Good luck if you are in the market. They are easy to maintain and sew a perfect straight stitch. And, as everyone else said, they are so darn cute. Oh, and lightweight, thus the name Featherweight. Easy transport for classes.

I like the Featherweight because its a great little machine, sews well, doesn't give attitude and sews a beautiful stitch. I have four FWs a tan and 3 black. I have had all the original colors, had 6 at one point. I clean them up
    and make a new owner happy by selling one every so often when I need to thin the herd.
    I wanted to see just what it would sew and I made a corduroy jacket with mine and it preformed beautifully.
    You can see it in the following picture, it has since gone
    to a new home; its too large for me now.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719rygnnj

Sharon W.

I have 2 featherweights and don't use them much yet but I love them and would buy another one probably. lol Just something about them.
    Judy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Other than being the most perfect piecing machine with beautiful stitches that I can repair by myself and its the same age as me 1938. It is the only machine that I can sit in front of the TV with my family and sew and it is so quiet it does not annoy any of them or me. I can carry it with one
    hand and everything else, fits in my toe with fabric etc. to go to class. Never been to a repairman. So whats not to like..

California Grandma, I am. I too have a Featherweight. It is one year younger than I am. Also I have a Spartan which seems to be a take-off from a Featherweight. Reading where the parts were made it seems like England and Canada were the places. It too, sews like a dream. Dealers tell me there isn't much value in them!!! Just wait.

California Granma

My FW is the only thing I got from estate when my mom died.
    I learnt to sew on it in 1950 at 8 yrs.
    For a while I belonged to "Featherweight Fanatics" on the web but don't know if it still exists.
    I was very fortunate to meet a nice man in Tampa Fl. Glen Williams who did a clean/repair. Then got to buy a 2000
    Millennium Special Calendar showing antique sew machines.
    FW was mom's pride and joy and well cared for---
    But, I need the oval original oil can - although I bought one very overpriced thru ebay--I got took --not the right kind.
    If anyone will sell can please pm as I definitely want one.
    Will keep trying to find original one.

I have a Janome 6600 and a Baby Lock, but I prefer sewing on my featherweight. There is something special about sewing a quilt on an antique machine. I can't describe it, but it feels right.

I live in Tampa, and Glenn Williams is great. He cleans, repairs and has any part you want or need. I have bought several things from him, including a new belt for my treadle machine. He will mail things to you.

Here are my 2 cents...Featherweights are easy to carry to where ever. They will sew leather without any problems. .Besides they are things of beauty. They are little work horses! Parts are still available. They just fly out of Ebay.

That's why they are so special!

I feel so fortunate to be the proud keeper of a 1937 FW.
    She is 73 now so not as slick and pretty as she once was but I'm still happy to have her in my sewing room. She can still outsew lots of other machines. I have a tol Pfaff which I just love but the FW is a great backup machine. Like everyone has already said, so lightweight and easy to take to class. I'm looking to buy another one to keep her company.

I just bought my first FW 221-1 on ebay just now. I paid
    $218.50. Is that a decent price?

Forgot to tell you it is a 1937 year

Not bad but the proof is in the pudding. I have had great luck buying on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by treeseek quilter

I want one, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it might just be frivolous for me. I never need to take my machine anywhere...no classes, no guild, no where. I sure do want one though. Who wants to trade me a Serger for a Featherweight? :)

Quote Originally Posted by treeseek quilter
    I have paid more, and I have paid less.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkquilter
    I live in Tampa, and Glenn Williams is great. He cleans, repairs and has any part you want or need. I have bought several things from him, including a new belt for my treadle machine. He will mail things to you.
    Thank you for that info
    I will try to keep in touch with u so maybe I can make contact with GW in case he has an oil can for me.
    He would remember me as Morningstar in Ontario as he has been here.
    Hope to be in USA by Nov so much easier for shipping then -especially when I want the small oval oil can.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast