Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: What makes the featherweights such an awesome find?

Quote Originally Posted by one&only
    Welcome, I just got one today! Lady traded it for an old microwave that I was just planning on giving to her. I just couldn't believe it.
    What was she thinking? She wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
    I'm relatively new to this particular craft, though I've been sewing for 51 years. I am curious why there is such enthusiasm over finding an older Singer featherweight sewing machine. What makes them so special, other than they are not made with the stupid plastic parts that so many modern machines are made of?
    I have 1 & really love it. The other day I was making a purse, when I couldn't through 1 of the seams, with my newer machine. I just got out my FW & it sewed through it no problem. It also sews so perfectly streight. If you have the opportunity , buy one.

I think I am the one who opened the can of worms on FW. I just purchased one on Ebay & was talking about it and then all of a sudden.....rest is history

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
    I'm relatively new to this particular craft, though I've been sewing for 51 years. I am curious why there is such enthusiasm over finding an older Singer featherweight sewing machine. What makes them so special, other than they are not made with the stupid plastic parts that so many modern machines are made of?
    If you go to quilt classes and quilting clubs, having a Featherweight is awesome because new machines are so-o-o-o heavy to lug around. Featherweights only do basic stitching, but what else do you need the machine to do at a quilt class/club?

I made a jacket from corduroy the fabric had the wider ribs and my FW performed flawlessly, it had no problem at all sewing it. I was just amazed! I've also hemmed jeans with it. I love my FWs.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    DH saw a white FW on Craigslist today. It's $150. I do not know the person, just wanted to past the info on as alot of you are looking for one. Look under city of Atlanta, then arts and crafts. Please understand I am not advertising or recommending, just passing on info.

There are also two others on Craigslist, one in NC (greenvill) and one in SC (Greer-I think) Both were $300.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    My Featherweight came to me from my Mom. My Dad bought it for her and she used to make my brothers and sisters clothes on it. I love that it is almost toy-like in size and it has never not sewn a straight stitch for me.
    Reliable is an understatement. She is the only machine I have ever sewn on, but I have a "new" Singer 66 Treadle that I hope to be sewing on in the future.
    :XD:

already gone. Figured as much at that price. Thanks for thinkig of us.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5