Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What makes the featherweights such an awesome find?

I was told the reason to get a festherweight was because of the beautiful stitch it makes. I love mine.

I just was on Craigslist and there is a pre WWII Singer model 66 made in 1941 for sale in a cabinet. I don't know much about FW either is this one? The person selling it didn't know much about sewing machines. They want $40 in the cabinet. I read here about those that have cases.

I just did some researching on the internet. This is a full size model, still a good price but not very portable. I think I will keep my eyes open for a FW though sounds like a great machine.

Blog Entries
    I have a featherweight, and love it! The reason I like it so much is the following; I can take it to classes in guild, it is just right when the guild has sewing day for certain projects. I have it set up in our family room and I sew there in the evenings.
    I really wouldn't trade it for anything! I have had people tell me that retired people who go to Arizona, ect, for the Winter like to take their featherweights with them as it is fun to sew on the road.
    Finding what works for each of us, and for someone who has sewn a long time, I feel certain you would enjoy one!
    Mariah.

EC
    The FW is small, easy to transport, lightweight, sews a beautiful stitch, is dependable and runs very quietly. I can sew and not disturb anyone. Can even sew in the family room and not bother someone watching TV.

I can't afford a FW. I have a Janome gem that I love ! It's lighter than a FW and has some decorative stiches if I want to machine applique. It fits in a small tote, machine and accessories.

Blog Entries
    FW are great machines. I wanted one for a long time and lost two on ebay. (outbid) So I watch Craig's list. That way I can see them and hear them run. This was my first machine ever that I felt comfortable working on. I bought my first one site-unseen but a hundred questions were asked! It came from WA and I'm in OR. It was trucked over and it was delivered the next day. It was like a baby being born! I was so excited as I had waited for a long time for one. The person that was loading it for me at the trucking company was as excited (due to my excitement I'm sure!)as I was! When he helped me open it he couldn't believe what a cute machine it was.

I have since added 4 more to my collection! They all have something special about them. Straited plate, scroll plate, Centenial and a white. Then there was one at an estate sale that I had to take to give a good home too. They are all special and they all hum so nicely. And yes I must say they are work horses. They will not let you down! They are the most precise stitching machines you can get. I used my Bernina to sew a flannel quilt and it wasn't doing real well. I pulled out my first FW and not a problem. I stitched so nice that the seams were beautiful! I haven't paid more than $200 for mine. My centenial was $75.00. Just watch and be patient. You can get them at a reasonable price.

I think every quilter should have one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
    I can't afford a FW. I have a Janome gem that I love ! It's lighter than a FW and has some decorative stiches if I want to machine applique. It fits in a small tote, machine and accessories.
    That's what I used before my FW another wonderful machine. I won't part with mine. It's wonderful.

Ms Shawn...look up singer-featherweight.com and you can see picture of it.. looks so cute & small.
    I have an 1938 and 1950 FW...love to sew on it !!
    1906 also on treadle.

Quote Originally Posted by nwm50
    Ms Shawn...look up singer-featherweight.com and you can see picture of it.. looks so cute & small.
    1906 also on treadle.
    Would love to have the white/celery green one but not at the prices they want for it. Sigh, have to keep looking.

Blog Entries
    This has been a fun thread.. I've always loved my featherweight (I have 3) and I knew others loved their's as well.. but this thread has really made it clear, owners of a FW are all passionate about these sweet old machines!!

I also have several other old singers, a 66, 2 301's, an old pfaff that makes the most soothing sound as it stitches, I also have a little old brother that stitches as well as a featherweight. I love all these old machines.. I have a group of friends that come over and we all pick a machine and sew. Each machine sews perfectly.. all straight stitch, but such beautiful straight stitches they are!!

Ooops, forgot to mention the 66 and the 306 just recently purchased! Haven't used the 66 yet but have been told it's a good solid heavy machine.

Blog Entries
    1906 also on treadle.
    Would love to have the white/celery green one but not at the prices they want for it. Sigh, have to keep looking.
    My DH bought my white/celery FW with the case at a yard sale for $75. They thought it was a childs toy.

Olivia's grandmammy..............Oh Lucky You !! What yr is it and have you named it? Boy, that was the bestest deal i have heard of for your's.

Blog Entries
    Olivia's grandmammy..............Oh Lucky You !! What yr is it and have you named it? Boy, that was the bestest deal i have heard of for your's.
    It's from Scotland and dated 1964. I don't name my machines.

Very nice, thanks for the info. Do you have a pic of it?
    Scotland, 1964..very interesting.

I have two featherweights..a creme one I found about 18 years ago and a black one I inherited from my neighbor and quilting buddy when she passed 8 years ago. I cherish both of them. The creme one goes in the car when we travel, and the black one travels in our 5th wheel when we are going to be gone longer. I have made curtains for our boat going down the intercoastal waterway, made a bedspread on the way to Florida, and pillows when I was bored. My daughter took the creme one when she went to college (I told her it was on loan). Both of them sew perfectly with a minimum of problems. I always take one with me as backup at retreats..I know it won't fail. The prices varies but sometimes they can be found at estate sales. If you find one buy it!!!

Somebody opened up a can of worms for info on FW ! LOL, look at all the wonderful stories that we're sharing on our machines.

I first learned how to sew on my Mom's Featherweight when I was 8. I remember how pretty it was, the fancy gold designs, the cute little light bulb, the black case, the green manual
    She'd gotten it as a wedding present so it must have been a 1949-50 model
    Unfortunately she TRADED IT IN on a "modern" Singer Touch n Sew !! I know she wanted the "upgrade" back then ... but how I wish I had THAT Featherweight today :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    I first learned how to sew on my Mom's Featherweight when I was 8. I remember how pretty it was, the fancy gold designs, the cute little light bulb, the black case, the green manual
    She'd gotten it as a wedding present so it must have been a 1949-50 model
    Unfortunately she TRADED IT IN on a "modern" Singer Touch n Sew !! I know she wanted the "upgrade" back then ... but how I wish I had THAT Featherweight today :cry:
    That is so sad to let that little baby go. Wonder how much they actually allowed on it for her trade-in?

Dear FW Purchaser,

I believe that $218 is a very good price. Check the quilting magazines and of course e-bay.

Lorraine Barksdale

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Maryland and I have recently gotten two featherweights and have sewn with one,it is just grand. Light, steady and the cutest little machine around! I named her "Mitzi" and the other is "June".

Lyn, I tried to send you a private message, but the board wouldn't let me.

Please send me a message about the little car quilt you show in your picture.

I would like to order the pattern, if possible.

I work in Buckeye, AZ, so am real close every day of the work week.

Thank you.

Anne V.

Welcome, I just got one today! Lady traded it for an old microwave that I was just planning on giving to her. I just couldn't believe it.

I want one!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one&only
    Welcome, I just got one today! Lady traded it for an old microwave that I was just planning on giving to her. I just couldn't believe it.
    Whoa, great trade for you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast