Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes your quilting/sewing room so special?

My sewing room is just getting started. It is special because my hubs is really involved in designing. And because it's been a long time coming.

Well, I can only think of one thing that makes my sewing room (which is spread out all over the house) special: Me!

If I didn't enjoy it, it wouldn't be special.

Blog Entries
    I like my sewing room, I have it all organized and love to collect stuff. And it shows. My hubby is on the computer a lot, and its in my sewing room, so he plays and I play. When he gets tired, he goes into the den and reads or watches tv. We both are retired, so we do whatever we want too. I can stay in mine all day and never get tired of it. Sometimes I come out to cook, and sometimes not. LOL I'm going to take some pics too and may put them on the board. All my stash is in chests and drawers, nothing showing. Some stackables, only thing missing is a design wall, but I have a temporary one on the back of my door. So it works. I could use more lighting, but its ok for now. This room was suppose to be a formal living room, but never used for that. The door closes it off from the entrance hall. So all is good.

I don't have a sewing room in our teeny tiny house, but I claimed a little nook notched out of our bedroom. It's impossibly small, but very efficiently laid out so that I have everything at my fingertips! There are two nice windows for light and pretty foliage. I am a huge fan of Abraham Lincoln, so I have my two favorite Lincoln portraits looking down on me as I create and sew! I love the organization of my little space, although I can't deny that I dream of the day when I might have a whole room to make my own. Never take it for granted, those of you who have the luxury of space!!

I finally got a real sewing room after 34 yrs, yes I love it! Nothing is in it except for me,and my sewing stuff! What makes it most special is the peg board my dh put up for me, the big board ironing board he would only make for me, the shelves he painted and hung! My old machines he cleaned and oil and have them looking like new! It is special because of him!

because it is mine......

I get my own little room and I can close the door :D
    Best of all I don't have to share :D

Blog Entries
    I am currently re-organizing/decorating my sewing area in our basement. Right now... my most favorite part about it is the warm and cheerful, yellow walls.... they make me smile. Can't wait to pull it all together!

My sewing room is actually the master bedroom of our house. DH and I have our bedroom in one of the smaller bedrooms, and all because I have so much stuff. Our house has 3 bedrooms, and our kids are grown. DH has his home office in the other smaller bedroom, so my workroom has to be a guest room, too. The master is the only room large enough to have a double guest bed plus 2 sewing tables, a cutting table, and my computer table. And I also have a bathroom all to myself! But the best part is the master bedroom has an atrium all to itself, with one wall being two huge plate glass windows, 52"x70" that look out on the atrium, which has a patio table and chairs, and a fountain, and plants, and is open to the sky.

My space is small 7x7 I think but it is cheerful I have a nice window to look outside lots of storage and I'm happy To spend a lot of cold winter days sewing and dreaming it's just a peaceful retreat for me.

Because it is "My" room. It is painted raspberry sherbet with navy accents. I have all my pictures on the walls and my collection of mice is in here along with my hoosier cabinet that I brought from Pittsburgh with me. I have my computer here too, and a couple of comfy chairs-which Sassy will grudgingly let me share once in a while lol. She is my cat and loves to be here with me when I sew. It is a very girly room and I love it. My private, getaway space.

Because its MINE. ....ok well maybe I share with my grandkids too :mrgreen:

Mine is special because it is a space dedicated to whatever I want to do there. Also, it has the beautiful, gorgeous, very handy cabinet for my sewing machine. My husband made the cabinet for me and it is awesomee. I have room for a big cutting table, which he made also. There is a lot of storage, too.

Blog Entries
    I face the east and in the morning the sunrises are glorious, the snow can be beautiful in the winter, the leaves and grass in the spring and summer. I can say hi to the neighbors and they stop by and visit. I open the windowblinds first thing in the morning and they are the last to close in the evening. I keep most of my fabric in the basement on shelves and bring up what I need at the time. It works perfect for me in our small home. In the afternoon we are on a flight path to the international airport and I can sew and watch the planes come in and wonder where they have been or where they are going. I love this area of the house. My husband calls it the best spot in the house and he is so right. Edie

My sewing room is pink and very girly. It is just dreamy to go in there! Sometimes it gets very cluttered up with stacks of fabric and various projects/UFO's that need to be finished. I feel like I am on a short vacation from the everyday stresses of life when I am able to retreat to my sewing room, cut fabric, sew, iron and create beautiful things. I guess the anectdote "I would rather be Quilting" could be used by me daily! :)

Pictures of loved ones, artwork children made, beautiful fabric, quiet if I want or do lots of music, and my lighting and of course Bernina. Oh and forgot my large design wall, in basement so clean when I want to as well, cool in summer, and I am def in that age group of always warm, haha.

Blog Entries
    Because it is filled with fabric!!

My sewing space is special because it is set up the way i want it and no one else needs to go in there (unless invited) Just having a "me space" gives me peace of mind that my projects will sit and wait for me untouched.

Blog Entries
    What makes my room special? I designed it for ME! I told my construction guy what I wanted and he did it. I have 3/4 of the basement. I have loads of closets so I can put everything away and not have to look at it. I have a large (60"x80") padded ironing table and a 40"x60" cutting table. I don't like things stored out in the open so I have file drawers for all my sewing notions. It still gets cluttered, but at least I have a space for everything.

My sewing room is my creative room. Used to be my sons bedroom until he married. It's all about sewing, my room, my stuff, although there is only me and my DH in the house.
    When I go into my sewing room, all I think about is sewing/quilting. My quiet room to concentrate on quilts.
    No TV, no radio, no food or drink, just me, the quilt I am working on, and my Bernina.
    I quilt during the day when DH is at work. So the house is quiet, no background noise.

It has a sense of calm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical
    My sewing room is special because it is just for me. My DH comes in to visit and will do anything I ask to make my room better. He has come up with ideas for it and went shopping twice this week to get another large table for cutting, layout, and pinning. He bought material and made extensions for the legs. He took me shopping before that to see if we could find a nice desk to turn into a sewing table. I didn't want to spend several hundred to a couple of thousand dollars so he is going to buy and cut plexiglass to fit the top of my current table and fit it to the edges of my sewing machine. He is going to make a larger ironing board so I can iron full yards of fabric without having to do half and then turn it around to iron the other half. He comes in to help me with design and sews my fabric before I prewash it. My DH makes my sewing room special for me. :)
    Do you think you could possibly clone him and pass him around? What a treasure you have there ...

:thumbup:

It's a major mess, I don't have to clean it up until it gets even too messy for me AND DH is afraid to enter LOL

Susan

Because it is all mine, and when I'm in there I'm surrounded by all the things I love! My fabric, my grandmother's sewing machine in the cabinet my grandfather built, my project cases full of UFOs, my quilt tops, a comfy chair for my daughter when she drops in, my tv and movies to play while I sew, a radio if I want music, my chair on wheels so I can wheel from sewing machine to cutting table.... oh, I love it so much, why am I here instead of in there sewing???!!!

Blog Entries
    I have room built just for me. My favorite features are one long wall just for my hand quilting frame. The opposite wall has built in shelving running it's length. I ran track lighting so there is lots of light and I can add more as necessary. The room also allows for multiple workstations so I can have two more people crafting with me with out being crowded. Special touches include a candle and pictures of my kids.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast