Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes your quilting/sewing room so special?

My is small but really functional - every bit of wall and floor space is used. I put up pretty fabrics, quilt pictures for inspiration, directions, pieces of art...all over the walls without worrying about decor. I love the sewing tables that my dad is making me. And as everyone has said - mine MINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat7925
    I have a nice big room, formerly the Florida room, but have to figure out a way to heat it up in the coldest weather. I'm sure I will have it figured out before next winter arrives!
    I know they are not very energy efficient but wouldn't one of those electric fireplaces be relaxing in there? Some of them are really beautiful and plug into a 110 outlet. I have thought about one for my room but I am not sure if there is enough room for it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have an IKEA cabinet with glass doors for my books, a TV-DVR, and a comfy chair for hubby to visit. The walls are yellow and it makes me happy to be in there. Guests at our house are SOL.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE my sewing room. My computer is there as well as all of my sewing supplies so can download whatever I want. Our former house was very old and decorated in a country style. This is a ranch and it just doesn't work, but my sewing room is all Americana and it's very cozy. It's close enough to hubby as he watches tv. Wouldn't change it for the world.

I have a little flat screen TV, and Dh bought be a glider chair with foot stool and I have a lovely Ott floor lamp, which allows for me to see to hand quilt and applique. I love my quilt room. Although sometimes it is hard for me to leave it is just so cozy.
    I also have lovely ikea cabinets and use a drafting table for a cutting area, which is perfect height. He also added a table to my sewing cabinet to make it an L shape next to my machine which allows me to have a great working space and a place to put my laptop.

I don't sew in my "sewing room". I have my cutting board, fabric neatly stored, a quilt rack and all my small tools for quilting etc. in there. But the one thing I really need for sewing is not in there. I love natural light and the end of my family room has a nice large window to let the sun into and this is where I love to sew. Since my DH passed away I have the whole house to myself so I can really get into the sewing mood and only stop when I want to stop. That window makes a world of difference for me. Sunshine is so wonderful for keeping a person in a good mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    I don't sew in my "sewing room". I have my cutting board, fabric neatly stored, a quilt rack and all my small tools for quilting etc. in there. But the one thing I really need for sewing is not in there. I love natural light and the end of my family room has a nice large window to let the sun into and this is where I love to sew. Since my DH passed away I have the whole house to myself so I can really get into the sewing mood and only stop when I want to stop. That window makes a world of difference for me. Sunshine is so wonderful for keeping a person in a good mood.
    I know what you mean, my sewing room has great natural light too, which is great for hand quilting and my sewing machine is right under the window. At night I use my ott light it definitely helps with quilting at night.

Hubby has his man cave, I have my sewingroom. Every single thing in it relates to me and no one else...my collection of giraffes, sewing collectibles and thimble cabinet. Since there are scissors in the laundryroom, kitchen & both bathrooms there's no reason for anyone to even walk thru the door...except the dog and cat. Each has her favorite spot to curl up or stretch out while we keep each other company.

It's my "Mancave" and best not to enter without appointment :twisted:
    LOL
    David

we have 2 spare bedrooms 1 is my dh's for his den the other is mine for my sewing/hamradio/computer/and cat stuff it is all mine my quiet space to get away lol with the kids grown and gone dont have to share with anyone and i love it :lol:

I like having a radio and a phone

I loved hearing what everyone loves about their sewing areas. I really see a common thread (LOL!) about it being their own private area. I realize that is what made me so happy about mine. It was all my stuff and I was making it just the way I wanted it, nobody messing it up all the time. I feel a twinge of regret about offering it to my quest (long story) even though I am glad I did and would do it again. All of my stuff is still in the room at one end and the bed is at the other end but it seems awkward trying to use it when someone is staying there. I have a table in the living room I am using right now but it makes our small living room a mess. So.... I have been trying to come up with a creative way to find some space maybe in the laundry room or ??? to set up a temporary space that isn't in the way all of the time and where I can find some quiet time!

I have a door that i can close and everything that I need to create and unwind. Now if only it was more organized.....

My sewing room was my daughters bedroom, when she moved out I took over. It's not a large room but,it is my sanctuary. I have every thing I need in there to make me a happy sewer.{including my stash of chocolate}

About four years ago we built a separate 400 sq. ft. quilting room just for me. I love it, it's not attached to the house and I feel like I am on a retreat. Two brother sewing machines an HQ16 long arm and tons of fabric. I am a happy camper!

my happy place is happy because I'm in it.

I have my grandmothers sewing machine in there with me. Which is fitting since that's what I learned to sew on.

community benefactor
    My room is in total chaos and needs to be straightened up, but I have to be 'immersed' sometimes to be creative. I can't go from a blank room and immediately start sewing unless I already have the fabric laid out. So I love my room because it lets me do that, and that it is large enough to allow me to be messy. I also love it because of the sun-lots of natural light all day!

Because its MINE. I can move things around today and move them back tomorrow if I want to. I can put something in there and know it is going to be there when I go back.

Blog Entries
    "Because it's mine, all mine," she said as she rubbed her hand together with glee!

It's my room! I can walk away and shut the door in the middle of a project and noone can see the mess. Mine in small but works for me as I have another larger room adjacent where I have my cutting table.

I love your cattle dog.. Proud owner of 3.

I love my room because it's me!

Special? My whole flat is my studio - quilting bed and machines in loungeroom,cottons and notions in corridor, cutting table and spinning wheel in bedroom, ironing board in bathroom/laundry...and I like it that way.

My double-car garage size sewing room is very special to me because it contains all the things that I love....7 sewing machines, lots of fabric, sewing notions, threads, TV, computer, books, my filing cabinet and most loved of all, my Dh...he quilts too, and I love sharing with him.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast