Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What method do you use to "sandwich" your quilts >

What method do you use to "sandwich" your quilts

What method do you use to "sandwich" your quilts

Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
What a beautiful quilt. I use basting spray on all my quilts. Wall hangings to king size.
how do you spray? the batting or the fabric first, and then in sections?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Yes, that quilt is gorgeous!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM

I would say check out this site: http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ing/index.html
That is what I am going to try the next quilt I baste together
Old 01-31-2010, 12:51 PM

I agree with everyone - that's a beautiful quilt.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
I would say check out this site: http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ing/index.html
I've done all of the above, but this is my favorite. I can baste two tops a day this way. I had a lot of tops waiting for basting ;-)
Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
This is my first time to use Sharon Schamber's method and I'm loving it. I'm about 1/2 way done basting the queen size quilt that I made for my sister. So far, so good. I used to tape the backing, batting and top to the floor and crawl around and pin. I would procrastinate because I knew how painful it was going to be for me to do it, so I'm excited about this new way of doing things.

I have to tell you a funny, though. I'm a very visual person and I really had trouble not having everything laid out on the floor. First the backing was not long enough, then before I realized that, I cut the batting to match. Hence, both pieces were too small. Soooooo, I turned the backing to the longer dimension and added a "border" piece of fabric to the top of the backing. Then, of course, I had to piece the batting back together. All is well now, though. :lol: I'll let you know when I get to the other end of the quilt sandwich if everything comes out even.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

I sandwich mine on a large table at work and pin in sections while sitting at the table. When a section is done, I fold the rows up, loosen the tape that holds the backing taught, and pull it toward me to work on the next section as far as I can reach. My back has not complained - and believe me, it would.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 PM

I spray baste my quilts. For the larger ones it takes 3 tables and sometimes I have to shift them. I tape down the back, smooth the batting over the back then lift half the batting and spray the backing fabric, smooth that down (I always have 2nd person), lift the other half, spray, smooth. Then I smooth the top over the entire quilt, lift back half, spray, smooth, lift back other half, spray and smooth.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Ouch! I use quilting straight pins to secure the layers and I hand baste the entire quilt. I think it takes me as long to baste as it does to quilt. Am I the only person who does this? Beautiful quilt - I love black, red and white!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 AM

I am a longarmer and I use Sharon Schamber's technique. I am currently working on a quilt that is 90" X 90", so you know that could be a back breaker if I were pinning it on a table or on the floor.
I don't do anything on the floor since I have a dog that sheds and you know that could be a hairy situation no matter how well I clean.
I go to Sharon Shambers website for lots of helpful information. She is super!!! Here is her web address. She has lots of free information. You don't have to be a member for some of it; however becoming a member is well worth it.
Have a great day!
Jackie