Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away >

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Banned

Sandy girl. Is that any people who are toxic or only toxic quilters. Reading the responses has given me renewed energy to better organize my throw away stuff. I have set up boxes with plastic bags so I can just grab the bag on garbage day and out it goes. Keep usable strips for string quilt blocks etc. thank you all for jump starting this.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 AM

See, scraps between 1/2 yard down to about 2" cut offs go to the critters. They love them. My mice girls KNOW when their little bin gets full, and they start bouncing around as I pick it up to give them. If it's large enough to sew, it makes hammocks, but the little bits - and SELVAGE! - get to their bins. This morning, I peeked at the girls, and they had strung the long trimmings all over and were snuggled in their minky mix hammock with piles of trimmed bits. Looked nice and toasty warm.

Everything else, or anything ravel prone or stringy just gets tossed. That's just too small to save in my world. And who wants fabric that falls apart when you look at it cross eyed? It'd just fall apart in shipping or waiting to fill a box. I do save a few trash bags of it to use for dog pillow stuffing, but I don't need that much. Shelter here doesn't take pillows, but they do like the fleece blankets.