Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What order do you use in sewing the pieces in a block? >

What order do you use in sewing the pieces in a block?

What order do you use in sewing the pieces in a block?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM

I place my pieces on my design wall then sew them together in whatever order seems right at the time. Once I get blocks done, I sew them together in either rows or columns. Usually choose whichever way is shortest. I pin wherever there are seams that need to match up. And often also where the bottom layer seam allowance will be headed back toward the needle I will pin that as well. Works best if I stitch slowly and take out the pins as I come to them.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 PM

I tend to sew in blocks. Seems easier to handle. Do it both ways and see which feels more comfortable to you.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Love those batiks! I have a tendency to sew in blocks then sew blocks vertically, then sew across to put rows together for the overall quilt. I have a tendency to get "off" when I sew a long vertical seam. Don't know why, it just makes sense to me, so I say sew whichever way feels best.
In garment construction, we call this approach "unit construction." Sew each unit together, arrange the units in the proper order, then combine the units. For example, in this block: There are 16 units. Construct those. Then group the four blocks into a new unit. Then sew the four units together to form the block. Is this as clear as mud?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 AM

It will be beautiful whichever way you chose. Lovely fabrics and design.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

It would be helpful to me to see the back of the blocks to see how they are pressed.

I try for however will result in the least amount of bulk at an intersection.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 AM

I just got back from a quilt camp. Someone in my room did her's in quarters. First she sewed each row in a quarter together, then she sewed the rows together. When she had all quarters finished she sewed the top two together then the bottom two and then sewed the top to the bottom. Hope this helps.
Oh, there was someone else sewing her's into four large triangles and then sewing two large triangles together at a time and then sewing the whole thing together.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It would be helpful to me to see the back of the blocks to see how they are pressed.

I try for however will result in the least amount of bulk at an intersection.
Me, too. It all depends on how I'm going to press the seams so they interlock over the entire top (and I do plan that out before I start sewing ).
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 AM

Hello fellow West Virginian, I sew my blocks together left to right just like you read. It just makes thing easier for me. Once all blocks are together I follow the same direction for sewing them into rows. I then join all the rows together starting from top to bottom. I only do different if a pattern calls for as laying rows out on a diagonal. Just have fun with it and all should play out well. BTW, love the fabrics. I tend to lean towards batiks when I can afford them. Would love to visit this shop where is it if you dont mind letting me know. I live in the eastern panhandle of the state but will be planning a trip somwhere come spring and just may plan it around a certain shop if I think I can get some good deals on fabrics.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Love that block! What is the block called?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 AM

I sew in columns without clipping threads between blocks, and then sew the rows together.