Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What order do you use in sewing the pieces in a block? >

What order do you use in sewing the pieces in a block?

What order do you use in sewing the pieces in a block?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:13 AM

Default What order do you use in sewing the pieces in a block?

Do you have an order you use when sewing pieces of a block together? I am on my second quilt and I am struggling with the best way to put together lots of pieces in a quilt block. My first pattern showed doing it by rows from left to right. The one I am working on now divides it into four sections, so I am looking at it trying to decide whether to go left to right or up and down first when I sew the four pieces together. Does it matter? Do you have some rationale for deciding how to put pieces in blocks together- like lots of intersecting pieces or pieces that overlap more than one row - or do you just have your own preference? If so, do you go in rows or columns? Here is my block in the four pieces, just for reference. [ATTACH=CONFIG]435730[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-fabric-279.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I usually sew the top pieces in the first row together, then move on down to the next row and so forth. The sew top row to next row and so forth. Love the blocks!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Love those batiks! I have a tendency to sew in blocks then sew blocks vertically, then sew across to put rows together for the overall quilt. I have a tendency to get "off" when I sew a long vertical seam. Don't know why, it just makes sense to me, so I say sew whichever way feels best.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the compliments, toverly and tessagin. I worried the colors were too bright, but I traveled down to Covington, Va and went crazy at the batiks store with the website batiks.com. They had row upon row of beautiful batiks. I sigh with remembered pleasure just to think of it. Now if I can just get all these seams matched. LOL.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

It will be beautiful. I tend to sew all of one row together and pin a piece of paper onto it with a safety pin. I just keep sewing all in each row together, then sew the rows together. I think my Daughter sews them into blocks then sews blocks until the top is finished. I have a Marty Mitchell book that shows how to do this. I get a bit baffled by it. Do whatever works best for you.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM

What beautiful fabric. You really have an eye for color.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Beautiful fabric! I sew into rows and then sew the rows together. It just works best for me. You will figure out what you prefer, but, you know, both ways work just fine!

Dina
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Love the colors! As far as what to sew when, I say do what works for you. . No quilt police here. Happy quilting!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 PM

When I sew in pairs then take the pairs and sew the top and bottom pair to make a
square then sew the squares together by pairs and then take those pairs to make
a bigger square, etc. I find it easier to handle and my tops are straighter than
when I sew the blocks in rows. I also square up the blocks as I go.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM

Love your batiks and pattern! Your doing a great job! I sew rows, mark them, unless directions say otherwise. Try different ways and see which you prefer! Theres no right or wrong way just follow directions or follow your heart and instincts, you might find a whole new pattern! Show us when done!!