Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What pattern to use to back quilt? >

What pattern to use to back quilt?

What pattern to use to back quilt?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Default What pattern to use to back quilt?

I'm making a French braid quilt using the QAYG method. I have lots of fabric scraps left over and want to piece the back. I will FMQ so the quilting needs to look good on the back as well as the front. I was thinking of the 10 minute block. Would that work?As always thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 PM

What if you combine your scraps into strips the length of the braid? The 10 minute block might be a bit thick in certain places when you quilt.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I also agree that a 10 minute block would be difficult to quilt thru due to bulk and the unstitched parts could possibly catch on the corner of your machine or stitch plate and/or twist. There are a lot of seams with a braid, I would go with a design with the fewest seams for the back.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

I'm confused. If you're doing QAYG, that pretty much takes care of the back, doesn't it? How would you do a 10-minute block on the back with QAYG? I must be missing something...
Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'm confused. If you're doing QAYG, that pretty much takes care of the back, doesn't it? How would you do a 10-minute block on the back with QAYG? I must be missing something...
I wanted to piece the backing using a pattern rather than just whole cloth. I do see, as the others have commented it would pose a problem with the multiple seams. Just want to use the scraps for the back in a pleasing way.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
What if you combine your scraps into strips the length of the braid? The 10 minute block might be a bit thick in certain places when you quilt.

I did this with the French Braid that I completed. It was perfect to use up those odds and ends of the jelly roll.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

If you start to piece a backing, they should be larger pieces to cut down on the bulk from the seams. I did a Yellow Brick Road enlarging the blocks for the back of a Bargello quilt. Came out great. I normally throw some leftover blocks into the back of a quilt. You can sometimes save on the amount of backing fabric you use on a lap quilt by inserting fabric or using up leftover blocks. Good Luck !!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by molly oldham View Post
I wanted to piece the backing using a pattern rather than just whole cloth. I do see, as the others have commented it would pose a problem with the multiple seams. Just want to use the scraps for the back in a pleasing way.
I think of QAYG as quilting each block, or group of blocks, as you go. I don't know how you do this with a French Braid, since it doesn't have blocks in the normal sense. However, I did quilt a French Braid in sections years ago, before I got a longarm, and perhaps that's what you're planning. I did piece the back of that quilt also, but not in a specific pattern. Here are some pictures of what I did. I think that putting blocks in the strips would have been fairly difficult (keeping them centered and straight).
Attached Thumbnails 2008-french-braid-quilt.jpg   frenchbraid_july_2008-013.jpg