Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what is the plastic stuff that you can hang over a quilt top to plan painted accents >

what is the plastic stuff that you can hang over a quilt top to plan painted accents

what is the plastic stuff that you can hang over a quilt top to plan painted accents

Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 AM

Amazon has it for $20.00, 20" wide 25 feet on a roll. I use it a lot, works great.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

For auditioning on a quilt or even drawings I much prefer Clear Overlay instead of vinyl. Vinyl tends to have a lot of drag with my auditioning tools (usually a sharpie marker or whiteboard markers) and the marks don't come off easily with rubbing alcohol. Clear overlay works much better, lays flatter, doesn't have drag and doesn't distort. Clear vinyl does all of these ugly things. Rob, given your artistic background, I think you will like clear overlay much better. You can pick it up at artist supply stores (real ones, not Michaels or Hobby Lobby) and they usually come in a large assortment of sheet sizes and different thicknesses too.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Thanks FelineFanatic for the info on the better option than the clear vinyl I suggested earlier.
Clear Overlay .... what is it like?
? like the old fashioned clear page protectors with some stability, but lots of flexibility?
? harder, more like the plastic in those clamshell packing materials?
? rigid, as in thin plexiglass?
? or how best would you describe it?

Thanks for the help .... it'll make it easier to find it if I have a better idea what I am looking for!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 AM

It is $8.36 at Bluprint.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks FelineFanatic for the info on the better option than the clear vinyl I suggested earlier.
Clear Overlay .... what is it like?
? like the old fashioned clear page protectors with some stability, but lots of flexibility?
? harder, more like the plastic in those clamshell packing materials?
? rigid, as in thin plexiglass?
? or how best would you describe it?

Thanks for the help .... it'll make it easier to find it if I have a better idea what I am looking for!
None of the above. I don't know if it has a different technical term. When I got my sheets (and the ones I bought are approximately 25" wide by 40" long) I went to my local artists supply store and told them I want clear plastic sheets I can lay over a quilt to audition designs and I want to be able to reuse over and over by removing the marks made with a sharpie or whiteboard marker. They knew exactly what I was talking about. It rolls up, it isn't as flimsy as vinyl it is more rigid. It won't fold against itself. It is slick like the plastic in clamshell packaging but it is more flexible in that it rolls up easily into a tube for storage. It is much clearer than the old fashioned page protectors and also more rigid than those but not as rigid as plexiglass. I am pretty sure it is a type of plastic or vinyl because it comes in thicknesses measured by mm. I believe the most common are .003, .005 and .008.

Probably the closest approximation to this product is clear acetate sheets but the stuff I got is much less expensive than acetate. I just looked up my local artist supply on line and they call it clear lay. It is identified as "rigid vinyl sheets". Here is a link to my local shops web page for the product that gives a brief description but no picture. I was able to buy just two sheets (website only offers packages of 10). It is a very handy tool in my quilting arsenal. https://arlenesartistcatalog.com/cle...l#.XJT5oflKhhE
Old 03-22-2019, 07:19 AM

I use Press n' Seal kitchen wrap. Sticks lightly to the fabric, wipes off the "plastic" for trying other designs. If you want to try a few and keep them to look at again, its cheap enough!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:02 AM

Thanks Feline,
I've never heard of that. I'll check with my local arts supply store to see if they carry it.

Kitsie- have you had problems with markers bleeding through the Press n Seal?

Rob

Rob
Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
None of the above............
Thanks again FelineFanatic!
Your nots ..... definitely rang with what I was thinking but I couldn't nail it in my questions!
Then after, I got thinking, that yes, I think I know what it is .......
... is it the same clear stuff they put on book covers at printers, when you have a DIY book cerloxed, with it being used as a protector over the cover page?

It definitely would be easier to work with on top of a quilt, than a piece of flimsy vinyl yardage.
Pretty darned sure I have nailed it this time!
Old 03-22-2019, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks again FelineFanatic!

... is it the same clear stuff they put on book covers at printers, when you have a DIY book cerloxed, with it being used as a protector over the cover page?
Yes! It is very similar to that.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Yes! It is very similar to that.
.............Just took me a while to get there!