Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Qualifies as Trip Around the World?

I wouldn't change it. Right now, it's very rare and what makes it that way are the nylons used as stuffing. Once you remove those you'll still have a pretty quilt, but not a unique one.

It looks like the quilts my daughter made about 15 years ago which was squares filled with poly and then sewed together,

I also forgot to let you know it is a very beautiful quilt which I would be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    The basic design to me is "Trip Around the World" except that the design is not "on point". I don't know the actual definition of the design, but the ones I have seen have the design "on point". Please take a look at my picture and let me know if this is "Trip Around the World". If not, is there a name for the design?
    Dayle
    The TATW pattern has been interpreted many, many ways. Here's an "image" search result on Bing:
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...HDRSC1#x0y1733

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    After the exhibit is over, I am considering a remake of this quilt. I would like to open the squares and take the nylons out. Then use it as a quilt top for a regular quilt. The reason for the modification is that the quilt is just too heavy. Right now I am not using it for that reason. I have a trundle bed that it would be perfect for.

Any opinions on that? I know some people think it should be left as it is, but I think my grandmother would rather see me using it -- she was a very practical person. Some of the scraps in the quilt come from clothing sewn by my mother for our family 50 years ago, so it is definitely a treasure.

Thanks for letting me share this with you!

Dayle
    unless you completely take it ALL apart you can't make it a flat quilt. Those biscuits were meant to PUFF...that means bulk when deflated....they won't lie flat so quilting quilt be a night mare! maybe you could use it as a decoration on the bed!

also this is a boston common, not a TATW!

I read about the Boston Commons and I agree I think it is that. I love the quilt. I'm glad that others will get to see it and enjoy it too!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Its a beautiful quilt - I can't imagine stuffing all those squares then sewing them together - what a wonderful job.

What a gorgeous quilt - love the colors. TATW was the first "big" quilt I made. But I agree that this is probably Boston Commons.

I love this quilt. It is so pretty how lucky you are to have something your grandmother made for you. Do you have infromation on how to make this quilt?

I made quilts 35 years ago for my two daughters. The idea was in Woman's Day, if my memory serves me right. The puffs were stuffed with nylons. Remember, we wore those suckers everyday back then and had sacks of ones with runs. The nylon is much lighter than poly filler and washed better too. Each square had a tiny pleat on each side. You sew them all together with a size smaller square on back. Then you cut a small slit in the backing square and stuff, hand whip the slit close OR sew three sides, stuff and sew last side. I remember it went really fast and I enjoyed making them and the daughters loved them.

My quilt is made a little differently from yours, quilterlois. I am not sure where my grandmother got the pattern, but it would have been closer to 45 years ago. I did recently see a Coats and Clarks brochure with instructions for puff quilts and other energy saving items dated 1977. I don't believe that there is a difference in the size of the square backs and fronts on my quilt, since the puffy quilt shape is the same on both sides. There are no pleats and no slit in the back. The nylon was stuffed in before closing up the square on the last side as you mention as an option.

My quilt is extremely heavy, and it is hard to imagine that polyfil would be heavier. Perhaps I need to open up a few squares and see if Grandma inserted some of her cotton stockings or support hose!

I don't know how long it took her to make this quilt. I am sure that compared to the hand quilted applique quilts that she usually made, this went very fast. I do remember stopping at her house in town after school or staying with her because of an evening basketball game and seeing her working on it that spring. Wonderful memories!!

Thanks, everybody, for your kinds words about this quilt.

dayle

So pretty! To me, this quilt is an excellent reminder that I don't need 100s of dollars to buy designer yardage and perfect batting to make a quilt. A little creativity and resourcefulness can go a long ways and make an amazing finished product.

A gorgeous quilt!

Love your quilt. I believe from my research that the pattern is called Boston Commons. Kelela

how about calling it "a trip around Boston Commons" just to throw all for a loop!! ;-) It is beautiful!! (I personally think it looks like TATW)

I agree with Darren and I'll guess it's stuffed with plastic bags.

I agree with Darren and and QuiltE. I'll guess it's stuffed with plastic bags.

Blog Entries
    An awesome BOSTON COMMONS quilt. It is Beautiful.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Wow, wow, wow. I love it! Can't name the pattern, but whatever it is it is a gorgeous quilt.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

There have been quilts on this site made like that and they called them TATW. I have made lots of quilts like that that were called biscuit quilts and stuffed with polyester fiber fil. They are somewhat heavy, compared to regular quilts. I made most of mine in the Irish Chain design.
    I would have guessed they were stuffed with cotton, as in cotton batting.
    It is beautiful and a real treasure, I would use it for decoration and not take even one stitch out of it. Just me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I agree witih QuiltE and jaciqltznok; I vote to leave as is because you will never get it to lay flat. I made one of those biscuit quilts back in the 70's. The nylon is also for warmth, but as heavy as you say it is, you probably don't need to worry about warmth, huh? lol Hope you enjoy your quilt as it was originally made.

Very pretty!

Just calling it a variation of the trip quilt ought to take care of the name.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Gorgeous quilt !!
    lp

I vote for the Boston Commons type. I saved up nylons for years to do the same thing then threw them out one day, then a few years later made three of these puff quilts using batting.lol
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! Please leave it as is. You have a unique beauty. Maybe use it to cover the bed during the day and nicely fold it back rather than sleep under it.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast