Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Know If This Qualifies As Organizing

I Don't Know If This Qualifies As Organizing

I went through several of my fabric boxes and sorted out some that I fell out of love with. After giving away a couple of bags full, I now have two empty boxes. It looks a little neater in the fabric area of my sewing room.

Also, I have hooks and pegs for the cutter, rulers etc. I cleaned that up recently. It's a lot easier to find stuff now.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    Something I do now - I put an empty box or upside down laundry basket in the vacated space - otherwise something else seems to fill it!

Well it certainly does qualify as organizing - - and doesn't it feel wonderful?! But, like bearisgray mentioned, the space you just created will certainly fill in easily enough! Enjoy it while you can......It really is nice when you're working on a project and you can actually find the stuff you need without taking half the day to do it.
    Laughing is, and will always be, the best form of therapy!

When you love and laugh abundantly, you live a beautiful life!

If you're too busy to laugh.....you're too busy!

Blog Entries
    Every time I organize the least little thing, it makes me feel better. That is not true with every one.

That's great. As the flylady says, "You can't organize clutter." You got rid of some and you can function better in your space. Yay!

Blog Entries
    My space is kind of organized, but I still tend to lose things. How can 3 1/2 yards of fabric just disappear??

Thank you for sharing your courage to get rid of what you KNOW you will not use. I have been having mental conversations with myself about this same thing. I have a double closet that is full of totes of fabric. A portion in each tote is something I don't like myself and after 15 + years I have not used it. I just hang on to it just in case I find a project that can use that piece. I feel bad about giving it away but..... I really doubt I will use some of this stuff. (It was inherited and has sentimental attachments.)

Guess it is time to stop contemplating and time to give it up! Be brave, be bold and be honest with myself. Dump the fabric that does not fit my quilting work! Right? Ouch that hurts.... at the moment. I am looking forward to the feeling of sanctification of releasing my "stuff" to someone who will use it well.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nearing the end of my sewing/guest bedroom. We don't have central A/C but a window unit. For some reason it cools the whole house with the exception of the s/w bedroom. Putting in a window unit. Small but sufficient. BUTT! It interferes with the view, 1/2 of it. Since I can't sit in front of a/c will need to move the 401 to another wall. Also found out the "light filter" blinds that say white on the box take on a very grey color (the filter). Taking those back. Eventually will get the room in order. Anxious to get to sewing/quilting.

Blog Entries
    I like to have my tools out where I can see them. I don't have a lot of gadgets and found I can do most things with a few basic rulers, cutters and mats. Peg boards are great for keeping tools if you have wall space. Over the years I discovered that things just get lost in drawers. My sewing room has a closet so there is space there for bigger things like a portable quilting stand, light box set up, extra sewing machine and carrying cases.

EDIT: The other biggest observation I discovered was the more space you have the more you fill it up and you are still sewing in the same small 4 station space, from pressing table to cutting table to sewing machine and design wall because it is just easier to have them close to each other.
    Last edited by ube quilting; 06-29-2017 at 03:47 AM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

There must be something in the air. I have been doing the same thing. There are some plastic tubs with sewing/quilting stuff sitting in my garage that I have not opened since I put them there when I moved in ten years ago. I've been cleaning them out. I've added some stuff to my sewing room, given some stuff away, thrown some stuff away. I've also found some things I've been looking for. It sure feels good!

Yes, that counts! You should feel really good about getting that done.

I have also started going thru my stuff, I have a lot of fabric that I bought when I first started quilting about 16 years ago. Defintenly no longer my preferred style so I have a bin that it goes into for backing for my project Linus quilts. Feels good to use up stuff and so far this year I have made 10 Linus quilts from my stash and scrapes. My next project is to go thru all the gadgets that I had to have and now find I have no idea why I thought I would use them. I have my favorites so will be finding a new home for the extras.
    Juliebelle

I sew on kids quilts 4-5 hours a day and don't even want to spend time putting colors together. I have heavy duty wire shelves in a large double door closet. When I decide what colors I want to use, I just go through the fabrics and pick them out.No way in this life am will I ever be able to use all my fabrics. My Daughter and Granddaughter know it will be up to them to dispose of my fabrics. I have used up many yards of fabrics in the last seven years. Just not enough. My Daughter also makes quilts. She has a very large stash.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I know it feels so good to see empty boxes and know where things are.
    Carol

Good for you! It does feel good to get rid of things every now and then!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    My space is kind of organized, but I still tend to lose things. How can 3 1/2 yards of fabric just disappear??
    I can loose whole quilts.

Good for you! I really need to start a box of fabrics that I no longer love. It will clear out space for the fabrics I do love.

Somebody will be very happy to have the fabrics and supplies that you no longer want. I go through my stuff often. I like to shop my stash as much as possible when I make my quilts. Whenever I empty a project bin, I am able to reuse it for one of the projects in my "stack" of projects. Eventually everything is going to fit in my closet. Everything used to fit nicely until I inherited my MIL's stash.

Good Job! That qualifies as cleaning out to me. Extra containers means a job well done.

It feels extra good because the lady at church that I gave them to, does not have a lot of money for fabric. My sister and I have given to her several times, and she appreciates them no matter what the size.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Sure it qualifies. Anything you do to make it better, organize it and/or get rid of is great - and always makes me feel better too.

Oh bearisgray that's a wonderful idea! My mind seems to abhor a vacuum so filling that empty space would help!
    Charlie DiSante

I have to start giving more away since we are retiring from Boston (Norwell) next July. It seems people like to give me their stash and mine keeps growing even though I have taken some to my guild for Comfort quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    I went through several of my fabric boxes and sorted out some that I fell out of love with. After giving away a couple of bags full, I now have two empty boxes. It looks a little neater in the fabric area of my sewing room.

Also, I have hooks and pegs for the cutter, rulers etc. I cleaned that up recently. It's a lot easier to find stuff now.
    Charlie DiSante

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post

That counts for organization for me. You cleaned and sorted, and eliminated. NOW you need to fill up that empty space. LOL
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Wow -- empty space! Time for a shopping trip!
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast