Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats?

Jim
    I've only taken 1 class and it was free from our Library...it was for a sampler quilt and I wanted to learn more about paper piecing...I never completed the quilt...I learned what I wanted to about PP and was quite satisfied (someday I will use the blocks to make a small quilt or pillows...Love our library here...we attend a quilt quild at the library as well

I took a class with a friend (her idea) on making a reversible quilted jacket. Only wore it a couple times. Didn't like how it fit me. I would love to take a "real" quilting class, but the quilt shops are so far from home. That and I work evenings, so it's difficult to find one that works with my schedule.

Self taught at our Tuesday meets, great bunch of girls we all help each other.

Blog Entries
    Mimi Dietrich and Joyce Becker on a quilting cruise. What a great time. My favorite of all time is the class with Bonnie Hunter. She has inspired me tremendously. I always loved scrappy quilts and she is the Queen.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    I have never taken a class of any kind. Learned all I know from books and magazines and sites like this.
    Me too! I'm a lone quilter. :wink:

I am fortunate to live in the town where the state guild holds it's annual Indiana Heritage Quilt Show. I'm not sure that I can remember all of the names but a few of the teachers were Mary Ellen Hopkins, Margaret J Miller, Libby Leyman, Sarah Nephew, and, and, see I knew I wouldn't remember all the names. Anyway, she's from Penn. and she taught hand applique that's done with heat resistant mylar templates and sizing. She sells those perfect circles, and her her first and last name begin with the same letter. I can remember all lot about her except,of course, her NAME!

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What classes have you taken? Also have you taken any classes from the famous teachers?

I've taken Gwen Marsten (loved her, she's so funny) and Mary Lou Weidman, Margarite Heinish (fabulous hand quilter and award winner) Rita Verroca (also fab quilter - lovely baltimore quilts).

A few weeks agot I went and took a few more longarm quilting classes. Learning how to do feathers better. Also at the time took a Trapunto class from Mark L Sherman, very interesting. We were the first to see his just finished art quilt. Beautiful and is soon to be in shows.

I recently finished a Baltimore Album Applique class with Mimi Dietrich. She is wonderful instructor. So patient and willing to answer any of my dumb queations, lol...I really enjoyed the class.

Blog Entries
    30 years ago I took a beginner class and made one block...... 2 years ago I took a "one block wonder" class. It was wonderful. The instructor helped from fabric placement, cutting,arrangement and border material selection. For me it was more about helping my confidence to make the first cut!! LOL

I have taken several at my LQS, actually my first beginner class was taken there 3 years ago. Since I have taken classes with Augusta Cole, Charlene Frable, Phyllis Anderson. Next month I am taking classes with John Flynn and Sue Nickle.

Blog Entries
    I took numerous classes in the 80's while living in Nebraska...some of the teachers were well-known such as Mary Ellen Hopkins, Georgia Bonesteel, Marsha McCloskey, Anita Murphy and Marianne Fons. Other teachers were from the guilds who later went on to become well known, two of which were Jo Morton and Shelly Burge. I don't do classes much anymore but I did go to a Retreat in Georgia in Fall of 2009 which I really loved!! I tried to get in the following year but waited too long to sign up. Maybe next spring will work out. I would love to take a FMQ class but haven't found anything close enough yet. But still looking!

Blog Entries
    I teach handquilting, hand piecing and a lone star class. In the next three months I am taking classes/lectures with jinny Beyer, Debbie Caffrey, and Cindy Blackberg.

Zero.

The only classes I ever took for quilting were two online classes from Quilt University.

Oh I recently finIshed winter stars a quilt table top- didn't come out bad especially since I'm new. At another shop I started 2 different BOM classes. One is a sampler of quilting (different types of quilting blocks etc. ) the other is the garden stitchers sampler. Different blocks utilizing different decorative stitches and feet. Really like that one! Getting to really know and use my girl!!

I went to a week-long quilt camp with Marsha McCloskey. She teaches feathered stars, but included so much more about drafting, etc. that has been really helpful on other projects. I liked her teaching so much that I took another two-day class from her eight months later.

Did a two-day paper-pieced feathered star class from Paula Golden at our local quilt show last year. It was a little too advanced for my skill level at the time.

Attended a two-hour color class from Jinny Beyer.

Finally, a six-week long Illusions class through Quilt University taught by Karen Combs. That was a really good way for me to learn since one concept was introduced each week for four weeks.

I've signed up for a free-motion quilting bootcamp in October with Harriet Hargrave.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    I took a folded star ornament class, and 3 FMQ classes on the longarm. They were good, but I prefer to work at home at my own speed. I can usually follow the patterns and do better on my own.
    I agree. I took one log cabin, quilt in a day and it was a zoo. No time to relax as the teacher was trying to get all 15 quilts in the class finished that day. I do much better on my own. Since I'm left handed, I have had to teach myself most any handwork I tried. I read patterns well and have the patience to take my time. Don't put myself on a time schedule anymore like for birthdays or Christmas. They get 'em when they're finished.

Took a Karen Kay Buckley Applique class. It was awesome.

Blog Entries
    Guess you could call me a class taker I started taking classes in 1981 and I'm still taking them I have taken from famous teachers Sharon Craig, Nancy Brennan Daniels,Judy Mathieson, Lois Smith, Harriet Hargrave, John Flynn, Cheryl Phillips, Sara Nephew, Libby Lehman, Klaudeen Hanson, and I'm sure many more that I could think of later my most recent class was Faux machine embroidery by hand a very fun class by Laura Hiene now I am signed up for 2 more by her in Sept. the 10th is her floor quilt cless and the 29th her quilting class guess I had better stay home this winter and put some of this knowledgr to work but I do have lots of UFO's

Blog Entries
    Guess you could call me a class taker I started taking classes in 1981 and I'm still taking them I have taken from famous teachers Sharon Craig, Nancy Brennan Daniels,Judy Mathieson, Lois Smith, Harriet Hargrave, John Flynn, Cheryl Phillips, Sara Nephew, Libby Lehman, Klaudeen Hanson, and I'm sure many more that I could think of later my most recent class was Faux machine embroidery by hand a very fun class by Laura Hiene now I am signed up for 2 more by her in Sept. the 10th is her floor quilt cless and the 29th her quilting class guess I had better stay home this winter and put some of this knowledgr to work but I do have lots of UFO's

Bev
    In the years I've been quilting I've taken uncountable numbers of classes and workshops. Some (just a few) were taken with now well known teachers. Nancy Mahoney is one, she lives close by. Another would be Jane Hardy Miller, another Floridian, she taught her "French Braid" style, of course. I also took workshops with Ricky Timms and Alex Andersen. Most of the rest have been with local teachers who are very good. I've learned a lot from them, but find I do better once I'm all alone at home and can work at my own speed. 8-)

Have taken intro to machine quilting, bindings, a small box pattern and Carpenter Star. All were great and I had a good time! Different quilt shops and instructors. Almost forgot too a OBW too. Deb

What classes have you taken? Also have you taken any classes from the famous teachers?
    Yes, I took a paper piecing class and fell in love with paper piecing. The class was at Country Fabrics in Shiloh, Ohio.

Blog Entries
    My very first class three years ago was Lucky Stars followed by a twister class, two purse pattern classes, a class for binding, little woolies class, transfering photos to fabric, and famous teacher - two classes from Darlene Zimmerman one wedding ring and the other hummingbird pattern - Darlene is an awesome teacher and has great trunk shows.

I'm lucky enough to belong to a very active guild & we've had a lot of great teachers - Billie Lauder, Paula Nadelstern, Marci Baker, Judy Niemeyer, Carol Doak, Sally Collins, Becky Goldsmith, Sharon Schamber - lots more I can't think of. It's great to get these "famous" teachers as well as having some pretty awesome members in our own guild. You can always learn something new from every teacher & it's always fun!! Yesterday one of our members taught a class at a local restaurant - food was great too!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast