Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Quilting Magazines do you like and why?

I'm from Australia but rarely buy the Australian patchwork magazines as they reprint the same patterns over and over.

I love US magazines, my favourites are Fons and Porter, The Quilter Magazine and I just love the Shop Hop magazines which come out 2-3 times a year. I read those from cover to cover, devouring the amazing quilt shops you have in the US.

I too miss the Miniature Quilts magazine, have never saw another minature quilt magazine as good. Is there even one now?
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

I have read a few magazines by Fons and Porter (not sure of the names of them), but the one magazine I absolutely loved almost every page of is Better Homes & Gardens American Patchwork & Quilting! I'm definitely getting a subscription! The quilt on the cover of the most recent issue is my new inspiration / big project!

Candace

Blog Entries
    I get the one from fons and porter love of quilting

I used to get alot of mags but have dropped most of them. Never made a quilt from one, they are just eye candy to look forward to every two months.
    Still get Fons and Porter, and a couple of others that I cant remember the names of.
    Make most of my quilts from online patterns and books by Eleanor Burns.

Blog Entries
    I have two shelves of magazines with pages dog eared and will probably never make but a fraction of them. There is so much stuff free on the internet that I let my subscriptions run out. Just with www.quilterscache.com and Bonnie Hunter's site - you could never run out of stuff to do and all the major fabric lines have free patterns ....
    Cherylsea

I like Quilting Celebrations by Pateick Lose. It is a newer one and only comes out a few times a year but I really like it.

My favorites are Quiltmaker, McCalls Quilting, Quilter's World and Fons and Porter. If I had to pick my favorite of these 4 it would be either Quiltmaker or McCalls. Really informational. I also like American Patchwork and Quilting.
    Last edited by kkdolls; 03-09-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Banned
    For a new quilter I'd say Better Homes and Garden Patchwork and Quilting and/or McCalls.
    Check out prices on line for deals
    My Quilters Newsletter had expired and they wanted c. $22 to renew.
    I found a site that offered it + Quiltmaker for $29.

A good way to decide is to look at lots of magazines and either try a small project or imagine yourself trying a project from the magazine. Our local library has many - including many Quilt Books, which I can look at for free.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I take most of them and like them all. For instructions I like Fon's and Porter, for patterns I love Quilter's World.
    I agree! I get several but Fon's and Porter and Quilter's World are consistently my favorites!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    My number one is Quilters World

Blog Entries
    AS a new quilter I try to look at the thrift store and online for patterns as well as get magazines at our guilds donation table. Find that each month you will find a certain magazine appeals to you as to what you will like.Since I also like art quilts I subscibed to quilting arts

i like QUILT

My recently subscripted to Quilter's World and chose to go digital so I don't have to store all of the magazines. I figured going this way would keep more "stuff" from piling up in my sewing room. So far I've really enjoyed it and it's very easy to navigate through the magazine. If I find a pattern I really like I'll just print it out and put in my binder with the others. Sure hope I live long enough to complete all of the beautiful quilts in my binder. LOL!!
    Last edited by KimS; 03-09-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

I love them all. It is always such a happy day when I go to the mail box and find one there..........yea quilting.
    Nancy
    Designs in Thread
    KY

After years of looking at and buying several different quilt magazines, I decided that since I don't really like to do patterns, and I love FMQ, I would try Machine Quilting Unlimited. I can only say what a wonderful publication it is - beautiful things, and the magazine is aimed at both long arm quilters and home sewing machine quilters, and is just beautiful. As much as it features lovely professional items, it also has things that a beginner at FMQ, like myself, can really learn something from. Another one, and it's free, is the Online Quilt Magazine.com from Australia. PDF for download, or read on the site - recently Leah Day has been writing for this publication. I am going to keep subscribing to Machine Quilting Unlimited for sure! I also like the AQS American Quilter, although I haven't joined AQS yet. It's worth it to get the magazine! Can't afford 'em all!

McCalls is my favorite
    Carolyn

Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork, and McCalls quilting. I have tried most of the rest and like fons and porter and quilters newsletters least of all.
    pat design

I am not sure what quilting magazines to suggest but as far as how books I love Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guild to Quilting. I still refer to it all the time. I got several how to quilt books when I first started and found that this was the best. I have gotten rid off all of them but this one. Happy Quilting.

I Get most of them and love them all but my favorite are the Quick Quilts. The instructions are easy to follow and you can always me the small projects larger. I didn't subscribe to any of them right away, I tried each one for a couple of months and finally settled on one but now I get most of them. I love getting them in the mail and relaxing and looking at them.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

I'm a relatively new quilter too; only 3 years. As a brand new quilter, I really liked Quick Quilts because they were patterns I could do with comfort and confidence. As I've progressed a little, I love American Patchwork and Quilting and McCall's. I would do exactly what someone else recommended. Go to Walmart and look through the magazines for a month or two. Buy a couple that you think you'd like and read them thoroughly. Then decide what you like best. My mother in law has a quilting friend who kept suggesting things for me which my MIL subscribed to for me. However, they weren't my taste in quilting; although quite good magazines, not for me. So, it's really what you think you'd enjoy making rather than what we think you'd like. Do you enjoy applique, piecing, traditional designs or modern fabrics and designs? Each magazine has their own specialty. I like to read about quilt shops in places that I may get to visit. I love traditional designs without 5,000 pieces to keep up with! Love the looks of Civil War, Florals, Batiks, etc. Not every magazine will suit what I am looking for. Have fun, it's sure a great hobby!!!
    Karen in Kentucky

I subscribe to the following:

Fons and Porter Love of Quilting
    Fons and Porter Easy Quilts
    Quilters Newsletter
    Asian Fabrics
    American Quilter

and then pick up ones at the store as they catch my eye.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a bit of a magazineholic so I get four currently. I love Quilter's Newsletter cause it's so informative and great stories PLUS so "out there" quilts pictured. Not so many patterns or at least that I'm interested in making.

Fons & Porters I just started getting--verdict still out, seems many of their patterns are for small projects.

Quilt is also a new one for me--again verdict still out. Have found some patterns I like and also tips I can use in my guild newsletter.

BHG American Patchwork is the one I've taken the longest and always find a pattern or two that I must keep. Instructions seem to be fairly straight forward too.

Quilter's World is one that my daughter got for me--I find some awesome patterns in it and good tidbits, but not frequently enough for me to continue it.

If I had the $$ I would subscribe to Irish Quilting--very interesting patterns with at least one pattern including some typical Irish knot design, etc. But it's just an occasionaly pick up at Hancocks. for now.

I agree with the other post about buying off the rack for a while and getting a feel for whcih one(s) you like best. Also, check out the local library for design books. And often at guild shows they will have stacks of old magazines they are selling--that's how I started to find out about the different magazines out there on quilting.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a bit of a magazineholic so I get five currently. I love Quilter's Newsletter cause it's so informative and great stories PLUS so "out there" quilts pictured. Not so many patterns or at least that I'm interested in making.

Fons & Porters I just started getting--verdict still out, seems many of their patterns are for small projects.

Quilt is also a new one for me--again verdict still out. Have found some patterns I like and also tips I can use in my guild newsletter.

BHG American Patchwork is the one I've taken the longest and always find a pattern or two that I must keep. Instructions seem to be fairly straight forward too.

Quilter's World is one that my daughter got for me--I find some awesome patterns in it and good tidbits, but not frequently enough for me to continue it.

If I had the $$ I would subscribe to Irish Quilting--very interesting patterns with at least one pattern including some typical Irish knot design, etc. But it's just an occasionaly pick up at Hancocks. for now.

I agree with the other post about buying off the rack for a while and getting a feel for whcih one(s) you like best. Also, check out the local library for design books. And often at guild shows they will have stacks of old magazines they are selling--that's how I started to find out about the different magazines out there on quilting.

I love magazines of all kinds so you can guess that I take lots of quilting magazines. For a beginner, I think Quiltmaker is a good choice. I have all of my back issues. One of my all time favorites is Quilter's World. It offers quilts of all levels and often it features quilts from various quilt shops that you can order all the materials for the featured quilt. But my all time favorite is Australia's Patchwork and Quilting. It is expensive but worth it especially after you have been quilting a while. It seem the Aussies like medaleon and applique which are two of my favorite types of quilting. SM in Georgia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast