Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What Quilting Magazines do you like and why?

Blog Entries
    Go to the nearest Barnes & Noble or other bookstore, get a cup of coffee, and look through all their quilting magazines. Then you can buy the 1, 2 or 3 that most appeal to you. You might want to do this several months in a row to see if they are consistently the magazines you like. Have fun!
    Create with joy in your heart!

Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting and Fons and Porter's Easy Quilts are my favorites, but I have to admit, I never met a quilt magazine I didn't like. LOL

I was just thinking about this last night... in the reverse. My new Quilter's Newsletter Magazine came & after flipping thru it, I wondered why I still take it (I 'm into traditional quilts). My faves are Fons & Porter (& all the various spin off sfrom it) & also Quick Quilts. I used to like Quilt. I wonder if it's still even around?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I'm FAR from being "good" at quilting, just learning things actually. I like 100 Quilt Blocks and McCall's Quick Quilts.

100 Quilt Blocks:
    I love the variety of blocks and the diffrent tenchiques. I also like that they have the applique` and other "patterns" right in the magazine. What I "don't like" is they give you fabric measurments to make ONE block, so it takes some figuring to get the amount for a bed quilt size.

McCall's Quick Quilts:
    I love that they give fabric measurments for a full quilt, not just a block. Also like the directions, easy to follow. I haven't gotten an issue yet that I haven't used at least one pattern from. Applique` patterns are in the magazine. Not sure of a downside yet.
    ~~Fabric Resource Center...now does that sound more impressive than "Fabric Junkie" ?~~

Australian Patchwork and Quilting is wonderful!! Probably costs more here, but I just purchased one or two mags., not a subscription. I love Fons and Porter Quilting mags. and Quilter's Newsletter, but have also purchased Quilter's World and some of the others mentioned. And I keep all of my Quilting Mags.! Just cannot throw them away or give them away. I will eventually have to give some away though. I would hate for my husband to have to deal with all of them when I am gone!

Quote Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
    you have wonderful magazines in America, but for us to buy one we would pay anything from $17.95 to $20.95
    In Australia and New Zealand we have Australian patchwork and quilting, which is a great magazine with great patterns

I currently subscribe to American Patchwork and Quilting, Machine Quilting Unlimited and receive American Quilter with my membership to AQS. I occasionally buy Quilting Arts. I usually thumb through the rest and pick 1 a month. I enjoy Fons and Porters Easy Quilts as well as Quilts and More, but a colorful cover can win me over!
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

My favorite is QuiltMania but because it's from France, I only get it at JoAnns. My second best is Quilting Arts. Both these provide a wide range of styles and different techniques. I encourage you to check out your local library to see what they've got and look at back issues before spending lots of $$ on subs.

I used to take all the quilt magazines I could get my hands on. Now they are filled with advertising and pushing particular fabric lines and the quilts seem to all sort of "mush" together, not much real design. I find a lot of good patterns on the internet and then change them to suit my taste and sometimes just make up my own. I also have a good library of quilting books from many years back and they are full of good patterns. The magazines now are so expensive that I decided to drop them all and really haven't missed them.

I get a lot of quilting magazines at my local library. You can check some out, then decide what your favorites are.
    Dutchgirl

I currently only subscribe to one magazine and that is Primitive Quilts and Projects. I have gotten magazines for so many years, and let all my other magazines lapse. I love the variety of projects that are in PQandP...everything doesn't look the same, and everything is not really primitive. Even friends I have that like more modern quilts like this magazine.

My Favorite is Quick Quilts. I also get Fons & Porter, Quilters world and I usually pick up American Patchwork. I also like Easy quilts by Fons & Porter. I have a large collection of the old Miniature Quilts and use them alot.

Quote Originally Posted by sandypants View Post
    My Favorite is Quick Quilts. I also get Fons & Porter, Quilters world and I usually pick up American Patchwork. I also like Easy quilts by Fons & Porter. I have a large collection of the old Miniature Quilts and use them alot.
    I LOVED "Minature Quilts" and sure miss it as no one else has anything to compare to it for minis. I am only missing maybe 10 out of 70 some issues. Just got 3 old issues I didn't have, from a cousin.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

Blog Entries
    I have lots of magazines and will send them to you for the price of shipping. I can fill a large box with books and magazines if you want. I find that many of the magazines are the same month after month. Check out Craftsy.com, they have some free classes too.
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    There is an Australian one that I adore. Sorry I cannot remember the name. It has an American counterpart that is also great. The problem with the Australian one is that it is so expensive. Last time I purchased one it was almost $13. That was a couple of years ago.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

I love Quilters Newsletter and Quilt World the most.

Smile quiltmania rules!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoSewSue View Post
    As a new quilter I have been devouring all the quilt magazines - US, UK & Aus - as I can find them. But the winner without a doubt is Quilt Mania. I think of Quilt Mania as the architectural digest of quilt magazines. Not one for an 'easy quick quilt' project but definitely the one for inspiration!
    i agree!! those french patterns and fabrics are in another place altogether oh la la!! I 'm about to buy my subscription.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3