Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting needle do you use for applique? >

What quilting needle do you use for applique?

What quilting needle do you use for applique?

Old 09-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Default What quilting needle do you use for applique?

I had a lovely lady work with me yesterday showing me her techniques for her beautiful appliques. She gave me a needle that she called an 'applique needle'. It is very, very fine and goes through the fabric like no other. HOWEVER, the eye is so tiny I can not get the thread in it. I worked for 45 min. last night trying just to get it threaded. I even have a needle threader, but the needle is so small and fine that it just spins around in the hole. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the solution?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:06 AM

try silk thread. what size needle are you using?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:08 AM

I think most folks use silk thread for applique. That might solve your problem? I have not taken the time to do much applique but a shop owner was giving a friend and me a quick lesson at one point and that was her suggestion. I did purchase some silk thread for when I was ready to get into applique and it truly is very fine and works well for the process.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Yes, try silk thread. It is a finer thread and should go thru the needle easily.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

She might be using a "straw " needle. I don't try to thread needles with tiny eyes any more.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

i use silk thread and betweens needles. i highly recommend the Bohin needle threader... it has a large needle end and a small needle end
Old 09-27-2015, 07:07 AM

I thread the straw needles with a cotton thread ok. Cut your thread on an angle. Maybe use the millner needles. Or another needle that has a larger eye.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:37 AM

I went to a "thread" seminar once and the presenter said, to those who like to moisten the tip of the thread before threading a hand or machine needle, to stop that practice. She said that moistening will only cause the thread fibers to puff up and be even more difficult to get through the eye of the needle. Instead, she said, moisten the needle. I can imagine doing that to a machine needle ;o) but it works pretty well with a hand needle. As for myself, I can hardly see the eye of a needle anymore. I've had to resort to needles with a crewel eye. Placing something white behind the eye helps direct the light better and makes threading a bit easier. Good luck.

BTW, she also suggested what was suggested above: cut the thread at a slant.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I have had trouble with threading the needle on my machine so what I started doing was thread the needle I'm going to use then thread the machine. Also thread the machine then before you get to the end, thread the needle then insert the needle as you're suppose to. So much easier than trying to bend down and work to thread in a tiny little space. I know this is about hand applique but thought I would interject this tip.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
. Instead, she said, moisten the needle. I can imagine doing that to a machine needle ;o) but it works pretty well with a hand needle.
I moisten my finger and run it along the machine needle in front of the eye - works great!