Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting techniques haven't you tried yet? >

What quilting techniques haven't you tried yet?

What quilting techniques haven't you tried yet?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
Curved piecing is my next year thing to tackle
I would love to do a wedding ring quilt
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Paper piecing...The thought of removing all that paper keeps me from starting one.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Hand-quilting, stained glass patterns, QAYG, FMQ, landscape quilts...
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
Paper piecing...The thought of removing all that paper keeps me from starting one.
then start with something with large pieces...removing it is easy IF you use the right paper, the right size stitch, the right weight of thread and the microtex needle! Piece of cake..heheheheh

I just love PPing and think those who hate it just don't know how to do it right!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
then start with something with large pieces...removing it is easy IF you use the right paper, the right size stitch, the right weight of thread and the microtex needle! Piece of cake..heheheheh

I just love PPing and think those who hate it just don't know how to do it right!
So, tell us inquiring big chickens, what the right paper, the right stich, the right thread and where we might find the microtex needle and I promise to do at least a block this summer.
:lol: :thumbup: :lol:
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

So, tell us inquiring big chickens, what the right paper, the right stich, the right thread and where we might find the microtex needle and I promise to do at least a block this summer.
:lol: :thumbup: :lol:
For ME the "right" items are ( and I have taken many classes with Carol Doak, but found some of my RIGHT items are not hers!) Paper is recycled newsprint cut to fit the printer. I buy it in bulk then I can sell off some of it to help defer the initial bulk cost!
Thread (generally Aurifil or YLI) is 50wt or even 60wt depending on my fabric. For batiks, or blocks with lots of seams intersecting I use 60 wt, the finer the thread the easier the paper removal and the flatter the seams lie.
Needle...a size 70 MICROTEX...it is super fine pointed and handles the paper/fabric with great ease! Combine that thread/needle and use a small stitch..on my machine it is 1.5 on others like my older Bernina it is 1.0 or smaller!

paper is $6.00 for 100 sheets, thread is $9.00 for Aurifil 50 wt. and $3.75 for YLI soft touch 60 wt. Schmetz Microtex needles are $4.00 for a package of 5.

It is not cheap to paper piece, but it is a great price to pay for the perfection one can achieve when doing this technique!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM

I have not tried a stack n whack yet but I have done a reverse applique check out my avatar
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Ok, Jacquie, I promise that I will give it a try this summer. Thanks so much for your help! I am bookmarking this.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mary quilting
I have not tried a stack n whack yet but I have done a reverse applique check out my avatar
That is beautiful!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Reverse applique, I just can't wrap my mind around this one, or the why behind it LOL
I will give it a go though in the future :D
Reverse applique isn't my favorite, either but it's heavily relied on by many quilters. It may be that your skill set leads you in another direction. In giving it a try anyway, you may find a use for it in your bag of tricks.
:D

I don't do small to mini pieced curves...not afraid, just enjoy other techniques to get the job done. I hadn't given applique a try until Dear Jane & now I LOVE IT!!