Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter? >

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 AM

I have only had one baby quilt done by a professional long arm quilter. She works with my LQS. She picks them up on Wed. and they are done and back the following Wed. Her prices are reasonable too. She does beautiful work. I guess I'm just lucky!!!
Sue
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 AM

My LAQ when I drop off a quilt to be done has them in the order that they arrive to her. If you need a quilt done by a specific date then you need to make the appointment in advance even if the quilt is not done. If you don't have it ready for her when the date arrives then you get moved ahead. I also was have to keep in mind that she is is 5 months out on her appointments. She has never disappointed me and always had my quilts done when she said.
I think you need to have a heart to heart talk with her and if she cannot commit to s specific time then I would simply look for someone else.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 AM

I am a Longarmer and when a cust give me tops to have by a cetain date,they get them. If "life" happens,I call themASAP. Quilt Gifts are very important to give to a person and it takes times to put the binding on after you get it back.
If a cust tells me,,,get it done and there is no time frame,I still try to get it within 4to 6 wks because I don't want it hanging in my house.
If it is a custom or heirloom,that is a diff story because they do take alot longer to do.
If you have it in writing with a firm DD,then by all means call the LA and light a fire under her. She knew that she gave a DD and she has to meet it. If her DD's are too short for her,then she has to make it longer and if she gets them done earlier,then it's a win win.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 AM

We have an excellent LA quilter that makes appt wen you can bring in the quilt. She gives you your quit at the right time and her turn around is a couple of weeks. She does not over extend herself. Her work is beautiful and it is all custom and not just pantos!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Seems like everyone's complaint is in not knowing, not the time. I agree. Depending how many LAers are in the area, the time would vary. But if you KNOW it will take 6 months, at least you can plan accordingly!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM

I have never waited that long for a quilt. I have two ladies I use. Both usually get them back to me within 2 weeks and often one week. And they put the binding on for me too!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM

You have to decide whether or not her work is worth the added delay, especially since you told her that you had a very specific time frame...if she couldnot do it in that time then she should have told you...and if something came up she should have called you...It's obvious that she didn't care about your time frame only hers...That's what wrong with business's(sp) today...there is no such thing as customer service..you get what you get when you get it...it's really very sad...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM

if you take a quilt to her, and she gives you a certain date and you are firm on it, and she agrees, and then she is still late, I would tell her that you are deducting a certain amount of $ every day she is late. I have a feeling she will make sure she makes that date. Money talks!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM

My personal opinion, as someone who does quilting per contract, is that this "pro" is not taking her job seriously. If she were her own boss, she should fire herself.
When one gives a deadline, and accepts it, it is a contract.
Not being able to honor that contract, without adequate reason or communication, is inexcusable.
I think you should decide how much you want her to work for you.
If her inability to meet your requirements is causing you to lose sleep, you need to find another quilter.
Sorry to make it so cut and dried, but really, it is.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM

I had the same experience with a quilter. When I first took my quilt in she told me she would have my quilt completed in two weeks. After 2weeks, it wasn't ready but she said she was sorry and promised that it would be ready the following Friday. On Friday I went to pick it up only to find it still wasn't ready. Although she tried to get me to give her an additional week, I just picked up my quilt and I took it to another shop. Had she told me it would take a month when I first took my quilt in I wouldn't have had a problem with the delay but when she kept changing the date, I just felt she didn't value my business and was taking advantage of me. I think you should find a different quilter and if she asks you why just tell her the truth.