Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Rule of Thumb for buying Quilt Fabric Again?

Thank you for all your suggestions. The quilt is lap sized (maybe a little larger) and I had bought all coordinating fabric but it won't be enough. Never thought about scrapping the back and I have quilts that are like that-duh.
    Now I can experiment with the back, besides I like piecing the best so it prolongs the border, binding stuff.

Pat

My GM and GAs always used what was at hand. I was always under the impression that the back was never seen so what difference does it make? Whatever crumbles your cookie. I never worry about the back cause my quilts are to be used. Never had a guest walk into my bedroom and turn my quilt over to see the back. Very bad manners.

Blog Entries
    I am with CJ, "there is rules?" If I run out of material, I head for the stash and do a little creative designing to come up with what I need. Have been known though once or twice to have to go back to store for a yard or so more to finish something special I was working on.

Blog Entries
    There are no rules. Quilting rules are best broken. I often run short of backing fabric. I try to use things I have or fabric I got on clearance. Put a block of another fabric in the middle or put a strip of some blocks down the middle.

I use whatever I have around for the backing. If I don't have enough, I'll buy something on sale.

how big is your top and how big is the backing you bought?
    Perhaps the slip and slide techinique will save you.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by mizunogirl
    I have always used a solid backing, and I just buy what the instructions say for my pattern (not very creative am I!) But, I've seen so many nifty stripes and such on the QB here, that I've decided my first BIG quilt will have a backing of two different fabrics.

Can't wait.
    I'm with you on a solid back!! The last quilt I made had a decorative background and ended up making the front side larger than I intended. Different strokes for different folks.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    According to a quilt appraisor I once talked to, a pieced back represents more work, and increases the value of your quilt. Just saying!

Yeah, like others said, I agree to go with scraps from the front.
    I've seen strips and whole blocks created.
    I've even seen stuff totally off the wall.

I ran out of what I needed recently and used fat strips of the leftover stuff from the front.
    If the backer is too detailed (with lots of seams) it can make hand quilting a challenge.
    I say, be creative!

geez i learn every day that there are quilting rules i do not know about.....rules for buying fabric? well, i just buy what i like, and usually i finish the bolt off.....

I LIKE this idea.

I just finished a quilt and didn't have enough so I used all diferent colors on back. i like the back better than the front
    Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    My GM and GAs always used what was at hand. I was always under the impression that the back was never seen so what difference does it make? Whatever crumbles your cookie. I never worry about the back cause my quilts are to be used. Never had a guest walk into my bedroom and turn my quilt over to see the back. Very bad manners.
    I have several quilts with white backs. The quilting on the front is such that the backs look like planned whole/cloth quilts. I love turning these quilts over.

My grandmother taught me 6 yds. Cut it in two. Split one of those in half length wise and sew each two the sides of the large piece. That way, there is no seam down the middle of the quilt back.

I blew it on my last quilt too... so I used a scrappy border around a length of my original backing fabric then added the not perfectly matched fabric along that border. The scrappy border hid the color slight variation wonderfully. I'm happy with results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Piece it!! Backs are far more interesting when they aren't all just one boring piece. Some of my quilts qualify for being two-sided! There are no rules, just have fun with them

I don't go by a rule of thub either. I add strips of other fabric to make it. Maybe even a different width of fabric. You can just be creative. Years ago ladies always used the 108" muslin for backing as it is easiest to hand quilt through,

I just finished a baby quilt and a lap quilt and I put several strips of fabric on the back that matched the front. I added various widths, sewed off center that added a large piece on either side. I turned out pretty good.

I can't believe no one has come up with the only quilt-police-approved-rule-of-thumb-for-buying-fabric!
    BUY IT ALL!
    (or at least all you can afford!)
    Oh, I always piece all my leftovers from the front on the back!

nothing less than 5 yds...depending on size of quilt top and width of fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoquilter
    Here I go again, got the piecing done and the amount of fabric I bought for the backing is lacking! Now I have to do a search and pay top dollar to get the same fabric to match.
    What is the rule of thumb when buying fabric--6 yards?
    Thanks.
    Use one or more of your other fabrics and make a frame for the back yiou have!

Blog Entries
    I agree. I like to use whatever fabrics are leftover from the front on the back. Sometimes I will piece of couple of blocks to add to the mix. Or do a fancy border across the middle. It makes the quilt more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Rule of thumb? Rule of arm? Rule of foot??
    None of them suit me, I purchase what moves me at the moment. Piece the backs; I always have.

Jan in VA
    :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i've seen some recent postings where the quilter put a stripe of other fabric vertically or horizontally on the back. many times, this stripe is pieces of the other quilting fabrics from the front. it does not detract from the quilt at all. in fact, quilts from the past used all of the front fabrics on the back in some way in case they needed to use a piece to fix the front.
    This is what I've done. Works great when I just need a few more inches of length or width.

Blog Entries
    I have a quilting calculator which I got at Joanns. When they were half price at Joanns I splurged and bought 2. One for my sewing room and one for my purse. This gadget will figure out exactly what you need when you put in the quilt dimensions. It also factors in seam allowance and enough to leave at the top and bottom to allow for drawing up when quilting. With the price of fabric these days, I don't want to buy any extra. Depending on how wide the quilt is, you will probably have enough of the backing sides to use for binding.

Great ideas everyone!
    I did go to our local Walmart and found fabric which coordinates perfectly without the cost. I hope its not uphostlery fabric though, it is unusually smooth and at the end of the name it had Dec. but it's 100% cotton. It's V.I.P by Cranston. I will have to take some pictures of the match.

Pat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast