Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What rulers do you recommend for the Sweet Sixteen >

What rulers do you recommend for the Sweet Sixteen

What rulers do you recommend for the Sweet Sixteen

Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 AM

Default What rulers do you recommend for the Sweet Sixteen

I am picking up my Sweet Sixteen machine today with True stitch which they say is very helpful when using rulers. I am going to be buying a few rulers .What rulers do you recommend and which ones do you feel were a waste of money?

I also found a good free doodle pad for the ipad to practice - Sketchbook - by Autodesk - you doodle with your fingers - free at the app store
Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

you need rulers that are made for using with the long arm- they are thicker than your cutting rulers- so the 'hopping foot' does not go up onto the ruler & break needles-cause machine damage. Nancy's Notions carries a couple (1/4" guide ruler & straight line) your machine dealer should have others to consider.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:24 AM

I found one on line on creating feathers. I wish we could try them out before purchasing.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Your HQ dealer will have rulers that are designed for your S16.
A good dealer WILL let you try them before you buy.
When I test drove the machines last spring, I asked about the rulers, and out they came to try.

They are expensive, so I would buy one, and only one for a starter
... and see how I liked it before I bought several.
Actually, I might not buy any ... get accustomed to the machine and FMQ first before adding on the extra step. You can always buy them later, and as you see the need. Kind of like the assorted rulers many of us have for cutting ... we later wonder why we have so many!!

From what I remember, there is one that is a multi-tasker
... which gives you a straight edge as well as some curves.
That'd be more likely what I would buy ... more value for the money!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 AM

When I was new to longarm quilting I thought I needed all the specialty rulers that came out on the market. I would see one demonstrated and it looked so easy to use that I bought it. Got them home and never used them. I finally wised up to the fact that a set of circle rulers, a set of oval rulers, a short straight edge ruler and a long straight edge ruler is all I really need.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM

You will need some type of straight edge ruler since straight lines are the hardest to do on a sitdown or a long arm. I like my short one, maybe 6 inches. It might seem like a longer ruler would be easier to use, but it really isn't. You need to reposition any straight ruler frequently, and the shorter ruler doesn't get in the way as much. There is a handy versa-tool ruler that HQ sells which is nice as a kind of sampler of curves and straight. You can see some videos at the HQ site (and probably on Youtube also). I have some clamshells and some half circles, but I've only used them a few times. I find that I prefer fairly loose FMQ instead of the traditional styles so the rulers don't fit my style as much. YMMV.

Pam
Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 PM

IMO, the Line Tamer ruler from Four Paws Quilting is indispensable.

Daffy
Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Bobbilinks 100%. I use my Straight edge more than anything and don't get one that is too big! I pick up my 2" x 6" more than any other ruler. In addition to the circles and oval (which I don't have yet but will get some day) I use my curved cross hatching ruler a lot too. I use Rhonda's arc ruler medium size the most. But like having the large and small at my disposal. If you only buy one to start get a small straight edge. When I first started LAing, I found using a ruler very awkward but now I love ruler work. Oh and make sure you have a ruler base for your machine bed, you can't use rulers without it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Thanks for this thread. I'm new to my S16 and am having trouble handling a ruler. Now I know to try a shorter ruler! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Since the Sweet 16 is basically a free motion quilting machine, you move the fabric rather than moving the machine. So, how do you hold a ruler on the fabric and move the fabric at the same time? I would think it would be easier to draw the designs on the fabric and just FMQ. If you want to learn how to FMQ designs like feathers, etc., check out Harriet Hargraves Heirloom quilting book.