Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the science behind potato bags? >

What is the science behind potato bags?

What is the science behind potato bags?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 PM

iS THERE A SITE THAT HAS PATTERNS FOR THESE POTATOES BAGS.THEY MAY BE INTERESTING, I'M GOING TO TRY THEM
Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 PM

Never heard about a potato bag! I don't have a microwave but I know so many people that have one. So I know what to make for christmas :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always cooked my potatoes in a bin with a lot of water. when there are done and still not fluffly( depands on the potato) then I through the water away and put the bin (closed) for a very little time on high fire. Than put the fire out, wait a minut and there are youre fluffy potatoes..it works al the time. :lol:

Thanks for this topic. Learned sometingh new today. :D
http://www.potatobakingbag.com/
Old 10-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Banned

interesting. i've never heard of them.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 AM

These bags rock! Our family and friends have used them for years. I've made them and used 100 % cotton fabric, cotton batting and unbleached muslin for the inside. To get them 'fluffy' and yummy- wrap a damp paper towel around the outside of the washed potato before putting it in the bag. They are also great for corn on the cob. My friend uses her to cook sweet potatoes. What great gifts they make :)
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Hi - try www.embtreasures.com, it has an embroidered potato picture on top. Of course, you can make it without the embroidery. Word of caution, I made several, used one in the microwave and it caught on fire - starting to burn the fabric just as I was taking it out of the microwave. Haven't used it since.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM

I have heard that if you didn't use all cotton fabrics, including the thread, that the bags will start on fire. Maybe the embroidery thread wasn't cotton. We've used ours for years and haven't had a problem. I usually rinse it out with tap water and let it dry in the dish drain, then use it again.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by travlr99
Hi - try www.embtreasures.com, it has an embroidered potato picture on top. Of course, you can make it without the embroidery. Word of caution, I made several, used one in the microwave and it caught on fire - starting to burn the fabric just as I was taking it out of the microwave. Haven't used it since.
could it have been the fabric wasn't 100% cotton? Poly cotton will do that. I remember years ago there was a warning not to put panties in the microwave as they would catch on fire I am sure they meant nylon panties, I could never figure out who would put panties in the microwave to begin with.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Uh, trupeach.... I think those were called 'hot pants' hahahhahahahaha
Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

My mom had a request to make some of them, but didn't get why anyone would want to do their potatoes that way, She had fabric that had potatoes on it to do them with .
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM

I've read so much lately about plastic in the microwave. Plastic releases toxic chemical when heated, might be a small amt. at a time, but by days, week or months end, we have warmed up plenty in plastic. I personally don't warm anything in plastic anymore. I remove food from there own containers and place it in mine. Just thought I pass this on.
Always enjoy reading all your suggestions, great bunch.