Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ? >

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 AM

I am not a snob about where I buy. I shop quality, not location. All fabric shops carry a range of quality levels, Walmart, Joann, and your LQS included. I order online, but I like to know the manufacturer of what I am ordering. Also, not all Walmarts or all Joanns carry the same stuff. There was a huge Joann in Scottsdale (closed now) where I could select from tons of fabric, while my local Joann has a more limited selection. In 60 years of sewing I have never had anything fall apart because of the name on the store! Feel the fabric, hold it up to the light, buy the best you can afford.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 AM

I always used to use JoAnns fabrics. I made a King sized quilt that was on my bed for 17 years before it even started to show wear. I made my grandson a baby quilt 20 years ago and its still in pretty good shape but it was not his main blanket. I think you just have to watch to make sure the fabric is not thin as some of it is. Sometimes its all you can afford. Don't stop quilting because you can't afford quilt shop prices. Just make wise choice of your fabrics.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Joann vs LQS. Both stores have fabrics that very in quality, Joann's is now carrying many quilting fabrics that are of high quality with a higher price than some others. They have many lines of fabric at $10-12/yd and these seem to be of equal quality to LQS. They still carry the cheaper $4-6/yd fabric which do not hold up as good as the more expensive ones. Their high priced fabric on sale or with a coupon is a good deal. You really need to "pet " the fabric to see how you like it. That is one reason I do not buy on line besides the color may be off from what I see on my computer.

Interestingly- I just go an notice about joining the "American Quilter'sSociety" and one of their perks is a 10% VIP card to Joann's. They seem to support Joann's fabric. Interesting!!!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 AM

I'll buy fabric anywhere I find good quality--I check the fabric very carefully. I tend to shop at my local Hancock, because the staff there is so good. They know me from my visits--I consider it my LQS--but I don't buy everything that they carry. I do a lot of online shopping. Gotta watch the bucks!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM

I don't shop at Joann's anymore. Unless it is a blade replacement and I have a coupon. I used to go all the time but I found their fabrics were expensive for the quality. I shop now where I can get decent material, usually on sale, and good service. That definitely leaves Joann's out for me. Thank God, I live close to Lancaster, Pa and we take trips up there and buy. The fabrics are wonderful and cost less than another other quilt shops I have been to.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 AM

Jo Ann's has different types of material, (quality ). You just have to be careful and feel/touch/look at the fabric before you purchase. I have also bought good quality material at Wal-Mart but of course my choices are limited.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 AM

I purchased 108" backing from Joanne's once and after I washed it, it only measured 102". I had them measure the fabric in store and it measured way below the 108". I went back to the store a week or so later and the fabric was still on the shelf and selling as 108". Are they ripping us off or what?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Joann's sells DS quilt collection by Denise Schmidt. 12.99 a yard last I saw but I haven't been there in a week or so.

They also have Kona solids. Both we'll know respected quilting fabrics so are they poo because Joann's is selling them? I look pet eyeball everything from Joann's before I buy it but usually get my patterned fabric online and buy my kona from Joann's.

I buy my rotary blades, needles etc off amazon. I get killer deals on there for items like that and even rulers etc. Amazon is my go to for stuff like that.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 AM

My pet peave is when you buy a half, quarter, eighth of a yard and it is cut so off the bolt uneven ... so you actually get 2-3 inches less, they don't cut it straight. I just had that happen buying fabric online. At Joanne's I ask them to check to make sure they are cutting it straight so I don't waste my money.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Some if y'all have horrible Joann's. My store is new hair opened this spring but if they see something horribly wrong from the last cut they will add a few inches to compensate for me having to even it up or will even it up themselves. The employees are awesome as well. Not so much the new ones but then ones that have been there since day one are great. Know and greet myself and my daughter by name. Ask about current projects and even ask to see my finished work. Half the time I pop in the mall and just stop in to say and talk shop since a few ladies quilt.

I'm about three hours from Lancaster with one lqs in a fifty mile radius. I'm limited in my shopping but thankfully I love online shopping. No driving and my ups guy delivers right to my door