Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are 'scraps' to you >

what are 'scraps' to you

what are 'scraps' to you

Old 03-09-2015, 04:12 AM

If it is smaller than my hand it goes in the scrap bin and I keep bits right down to about an inch. I love to do applique with my embroidery machine and its amazing how often the perfect colour was that tiny piece that got chopped off an edge of something or was left from a go cutter fold.
I keep fat quarters and eighths sort of sized pieces in a bin together. Everything else gets folded and sorted by colour in the stash.
I was also keeping the scniblets to add to a pet bed but I thought it felt kind of lumpy and she's getting older and likes her memory foam mattress with a quilt gone wrong cover so they went to the garbage. Space is valuable too.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I make mini quilts so I don't have many scraps. I do keep my tiny scraps separate from other scraps. To me other scraps are left overs from a finished project.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:09 AM

To me scraps are a pure delight , I love all sizes down to 1.5 inch square
Old 03-09-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking something just a bit smaller than a fat quarter. Now, having said that, if I have a piece that is small, but still have a larger amount of the same thing, I will put it with its partner. Real scraps go in a bag to be given to a friend in our church who does not have a lot of money.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 AM

Scraps have categories......2-2 1/2" for leaders/Enders, strips for strip piecing either foundation paper or my new discovery....adding machine paper!, odd cut for either crazy quilt type or crumb blocks....reeeaaally small pieces in a bag for dog bed stuffing....those I usually channel stuff..stays fluffier longer....just my way of doing it......NO fabric goes unused.....but thread snips get thrown into garbage.....
Old 03-09-2015, 05:53 AM

It depends on how much I like a fabric. If I'm not particularly fond of it, I'll toss a whole yard into the "scrap" bin, where it will get chopped up smaller and mixed in with the rest. If it's fabric I really love, I'll carefully preserve it with the main stash, down to about a fat quarter. If it's a fabric that seems thin but I otherwise like it, it'll go into a crazy quilt - I foundation-piece those onto muslin so thinner is better for those (within reason).

I do scrap quilts fairly often but I don't usually do controlled scrappy. I like truly random chaotic scrappy. If it looks like someone spilled the scrap bin...that's my quilt, LOL. I make scrap quilts out of anything I can cut into a square at least 3-1/2" wide or a 2-1/2" strip; anything else that's odd-shaped or too small gets worked into a crazy quilt.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 AM

I don't call anything 'scrap'. It's all either useful fabric and stays with stash, or it's garbage and goes to the dump.

I use fabric as small as 1" squares and strips in pieced work, even smaller in fused work. Doesn't matter if it was cut right off the bolt or trimmed from small remnants, it's all stash to me and my stash is never cut into smaller pieces before a project is started.

To rename something as 'scrap' simply to denote it's size or origin goes against my nature. Stash or garbage, no middle ground here. Size does NOT matter.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 AM

well to me I will give you an example: I made a Dear Jane quilt. the blocks were 4.5 in squares and some of the blocks had as many as 40 pieces in it. I had over 5,000 pieces in it by the time it was finished. It is at the quilters now.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 AM

I have a container that has anything less than a yard in it. I'm also starting one for one yard pieces. Scraps to me are the odd shape pieces or extra strips I have cut. Any extra strips go in a gallon size bag with a label with the size on it. The same for extra squares and HST. The strips that are oops (you know you're hand slips so it started as a 2 1/2 and ended as a 2 1/8 or some such) just goes in a scrap bin.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

What I call my scrap bin is actually used for making beds for dogs in shelters so it has to be less than an inch in width for me to use it as stuffing. Totally unusable for me for quilting.