Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing machine for 8yr old beginner? >

What sewing machine for 8yr old beginner?

What sewing machine for 8yr old beginner?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Google Goddess

cute picture of little one sewing!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:15 PM

I always recommend looking on Craigslist or yardsales or even the paper and finding a good working sewing machine that is older but nice, and at a good price. Something you would not mind sewing on myself.

I would never buy a cheap one because they can be more frustrating then ever. My daughter bought a cheap one and was so frustrated. I have always had a Bernina and others so she knew what a sewing machine should feel like. She ended up going out and buying a very nice Husqvarna. She wanted one with as few bells and whistles because she did not need them, but she wanted one that did not need adjusted constantly or that was so light it bounced across the table.

I borrowed my DIL's machine when I was on a trip to see family and they had some stuff they wanted me to make. It was a Singer, but a basic cheapy one. It was like sewing on a toy.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 PM

I bought a singer featherweight for my 9 year old on E-bay. It's a white one and she loves it - so do I. It will come with Mommy on her yearly quilt retreats.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Depending on age, a Hello Kitty would be appropriate. Just be aware there is a smaller, cheaper version that is more of a toy. The larger one would be much better. (about $110)

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...roogle_df&LNM=|

If you don't want the Hello Kitty logo (a more grownup machine), similar machines are available in the Janome Jem line.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome660jem.html

The "Hello Kitty" and probably Kenmore-branded versions of the Janome are also available from Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tcmp=ST_Sewing

The advantages of these machines are that they are real machines that work well but they're 3/4 size, lightweight, and portable. Toy machines just frustrate children. These are the real deal. (Even work as machines quilters carry to classes.)

Also check eBay and Overstock.com . eBay might have some of the older Janome Jem models available new for less $$$.

Edit: I see others have recommended a full-size machine. I still think a 3/4-size is more appropriate for an 11yo plus, if you already have a full-size machine in your house, a lightweight 3/4-size is nice to have for taking to classes (or for your 11yo to take to classes). Just my 2 cents.....
Prism99 I have been looking at some of the websites you suggested.....lots of good looking machines in my price range. Thanks again for everyones input.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
I bought a Hello Kitty Machine by Janome for my 6 year old grand daughter and it sews beautifully. She mastered the threading of it and sewing within minutes. I also own a Janome Gem myself and they are equal. The jem is great for traveling or taking to classes. My 4 yearold grandson also sews on it.
Kathy, that photo is precious.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

My granddaughter learned to sew by the age 5 on a vintage Singer in cabinet that had the knee control. She didn't have to reach the foot petal. She learned to thread and wind the bobbin on the old machine. Now she can thread and wind a bobbin on any machine. I told her if she got her finger under the foot or the needle she would sew her finger and it would hurt very much. She never put her finger close to the needle.
At age 11 she had a Janome Gem and asked for a Hello Kitty 3/4 size machine. She loves her Hello Kitty machine. IMHO my granddaughter can never have too many sewing machines!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM

I learned at that age on grandma's featherweight (which I now own). The Bernina that I have has a switch to slow the speed. That might be a helpful feature when picking out a machine for a young sewer. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:14 PM

I agree with those who recommended a full size machine, and would agree that it should be an inexpensive machine in case she loses interest. My granddaughter started sewing on my full size Janome when she was 6 years old. She is 11 now and knows the machine as well as I do, if not better. As Patrice said, kids are a lot more comfortable with technology than we are.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
11yr old DG wants to make a quilt. Which sewing machine would you recommend for a child.
I am in Oklahoma too, and have a commercial grade Singer, made for home ec classes. I'll PM you.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM

I agree that a full size machine is the way to go. It will last her for a long time. If it had a few "fancy" stitches to use, it would help keep her interested in sewing. But most of all is the time you take to spend with her on projects.