Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing machine for 8yr old beginner? >

What sewing machine for 8yr old beginner?

What sewing machine for 8yr old beginner?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM

11yr old DG wants to make a quilt. Which sewing machine would you recommend for a child.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator

is she 8 or 11?

if her first machine will actually be a second one in your home, then buy a machine you would want for yourself. she will be just as able to learn on an "adult" machine as on one marketed for children. kids are much more comfortable with technology than most of us oldies. i had a grownup machine of my very own by the time i was in kindergarten. i still have all ten fingers. :lol:

if her first machine will go with her to her house, get something "grown up" but very inexpensive. that way, if she loses interest - as children do - you won't have made too much of an investment for nothing. (if you know you could get it back, see option #1. ;-) )
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I agree with a full sized machine, doesn't have to be top of the line, but one that will last her for a good number of years :D:D:D
Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

the machines my granddaughters started sewing on (age 4 & 9) was a simple $89 Brother from walmart...the great thing about this machine? it has (speed control) you can turn down the speed so it goes slow even if they tend to be heavy footed...and they (the brother machines) are very user friendly...i recommend them for all beginners. next important necessity...a table that fits them...the girls learned to sew at their little care bare table, table and chairs were just right for them to use their machine....
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM

I agree with full size, too. Check on Craig's List - usually lots there with full options for the same or less than a cheapie at the discount stores.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Definitely full size.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Oops! Did it again. She is 11, I am blessed with 8, get their ages mixed up....Thanks everyone for the advice, hopefully, she will want to quilt, sew for the rest of her life. However, we all learn from dabbling in a lot of hobbies. Some last longer than others.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Depending on age, a Hello Kitty would be appropriate. Just be aware there is a smaller, cheaper version that is more of a toy. The larger one would be much better. (about $110)

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...roogle_df&LNM=|

If you don't want the Hello Kitty logo (a more grownup machine), similar machines are available in the Janome Jem line.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome660jem.html

The "Hello Kitty" and probably Kenmore-branded versions of the Janome are also available from Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tcmp=ST_Sewing

The advantages of these machines are that they are real machines that work well but they're 3/4 size, lightweight, and portable. Toy machines just frustrate children. These are the real deal. (Even work as machines quilters carry to classes.)

Also check eBay and Overstock.com . eBay might have some of the older Janome Jem models available new for less $$$.

Edit: I see others have recommended a full-size machine. I still think a 3/4-size is more appropriate for an 11yo plus, if you already have a full-size machine in your house, a lightweight 3/4-size is nice to have for taking to classes (or for your 11yo to take to classes). Just my 2 cents.....
Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Definitely a "real, regular" machine.

One can do a lot with straight stitch and the zig-zag feature.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM

I bought a Hello Kitty Machine by Janome for my 6 year old grand daughter and it sews beautifully. She mastered the threading of it and sewing within minutes. I also own a Janome Gem myself and they are equal. The jem is great for traveling or taking to classes. My 4 yearold grandson also sews on it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-75024.jpe