Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What sewing machine do you recommend to buy?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    232
    I would like to buy a new sewing machine. I want something that's not too complicated as far as the computer aspect goes. I also would like to be more successful with free-motion quilting. Maybe a Bernina Stitch Regulator or the equivalent would be good. Plenty of space for larger quilts (to the right of the needle) would be nice, too. What do you recommend and why? Thanks everybody!!!!

  2. #2
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    I love my 20 year old Bernina and would buy another one if this one ever gave up the ghost.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, KS area
    Posts
    90
    I own two Bernina's - the newest one has the stitch regulator, and I love it! I do most of my own quilting on smaller items, but still send out my larger quilts (bed size). If I could afford one, I would buy the newest Bernina with the larger "arm" and all the new features, but I am really satisfied with my 440.

    jerimac

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17
    What is the estimated cost of the Bernina 440?

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,839
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am a Janome girl..lol
    I think we are mostly brand loyal here..
    Janome 6600, 9" harp

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, KS area
    Posts
    90
    I've had mine for several years, but think it ran about $2,000. Their newest one with all the bells and whistles runs mega-thousands, so if you can find a 440 you might be better off. Perhaps someone has traded in their 440 for the new one - check with your Bernina dealer.

    jerimac

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,839
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterjeri
    I've had mine for several years, but think it ran about $2,000. Their newest one with all the bells and whistles runs mega-thousands, so if you can find a 440 you might be better off. Perhaps someone has traded in their 440 for the new one - check with your Bernina dealer.

    jerimac
    i thought the 440 was more around $2500.00
    and i was told, but don't know for sure, that Bernia dealers won't take in used bernias for trade in? Are the extras like feet and other options costly?
    i will have to ask my quilter pal about her bernia, although i am not sure which model she has..

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    537
    I bought a bernina 440 about a year ago and it cost $3,100.
    I really like it. I bought it to get the stitch regulator. I just couldn't seem to fm well with my elna.It doesn't have the embrobiery module. It would have been another 300 and I didn't think I wanted it.

  9. #9
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,171
    Blog Entries
    1
    If I would buy a new machine, I would check out the Janome 6600. Hear nothing but good things about it.

  10. #10
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    I was a die-hard Janome gal until I took a class last year where a LQS provided Bernina 440 machines. We did FMQ in class. Oh my goodness, what beautiful stitches Bernina does! I checked with the store after class to see if they offer used machines at a discount and they did, but only $200 off their price of $3,300. This was in Burlington, VT.

    I LOVE my Janome Memory Craft 9000 sewing machine for everything but FMQ. I get loops on the back on that machine. I know sometimes loops are user error or the tension needing adjusting, but I didn't have to adjust a single thing on the Bernina machine and the stitches were beautiful.

    Check out Rachelcb80's thread. She did great research on machines and there are 5 pages of comments on machines. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33831-1.htm

    Good luck on your search!

  11. #11
    Senior Member AtHomeSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW USA
    Posts
    896
    Another die-hard Bernina fan. I have the Artista 630 and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. If money were as plentiful as fantasies, I would like to have the new Bernina 8-Series 820 with the huge harp area! It would be very hard to ever let go of my 630, so since this is just a fantasy, I'd keep them both!

  12. #12
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Another die-hard Bernina fan. I have the Artista 630 and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. If money were as plentiful as fantasies, I would like to have the new Bernina 8-Series 820 with the huge harp area! It would be very hard to ever let go of my 630, so since this is just a fantasy, I'd keep them both!
    Same here. I love my Artista and dream of an 820, and would keep them both. My Artista's name is Barbie. Does yours have a name?

  13. #13
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I was a die-hard Janome gal until I took a class last year where a LQS provided Bernina 440 machines. We did FMQ in class. Oh my goodness, what beautiful stitches Bernina does! I checked with the store after class to see if they offer used machines at a discount and they did, but only $200 off their price of $3,300. This was in Burlington, VT.

    I LOVE my Janome Memory Craft 9000 sewing machine for everything but FMQ. I get loops on the back on that machine. I know sometimes loops are user error or the tension needing adjusting, but I didn't have to adjust a single thing on the Bernina machine and the stitches were beautiful.

    Check out Rachelcb80's thread. She did great research on machines and there are 5 pages of comments on machines. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33831-1.htm

    Good luck on your search!


    Was this shop Strawberry and Rhubarb? I love that place. The owner is now a Bernina Distributor and she may have trades. I can spend hours in that place. Do you live in Burlington?

    Maria

  14. #14
    Member quiltruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    46
    The Viking machines are great. I've had 2 and highly recommend them.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13
    I love my Janome 6600 - great overall machine.

  16. #16
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    I love my singer, but it is an older one.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NE Pa.
    Posts
    1,614
    Janome gets my vote. I have three. That said, I would try several machines and make sure the dealer is responsible and knows his product. that is important. I deal with Pocono Sew and Vac in Stroudsburg Pa. they are great people. It is about 1 1/2 hr away from me and they have a great line of fabric and supplies. they sell all kinds of machines in all price ranges.

  18. #18
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I was a die-hard Janome gal until I took a class last year where a LQS provided Bernina 440 machines. We did FMQ in class. Oh my goodness, what beautiful stitches Bernina does! I checked with the store after class to see if they offer used machines at a discount and they did, but only $200 off their price of $3,300. This was in Burlington, VT.

    I LOVE my Janome Memory Craft 9000 sewing machine for everything but FMQ. I get loops on the back on that machine. I know sometimes loops are user error or the tension needing adjusting, but I didn't have to adjust a single thing on the Bernina machine and the stitches were beautiful.

    Check out Rachelcb80's thread. She did great research on machines and there are 5 pages of comments on machines. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33831-1.htm

    Good luck on your search!


    Was this shop Strawberry and Rhubarb? I love that place. The owner is now a Bernina Distributor and she may have trades. I can spend hours in that place. Do you live in Burlington?

    Maria
    Yes that's exactly the shop! The class was at the VT Quilt Festival, which I plan on going to again this year. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive from home. I went with friends last year and will be driving myself this year so I can do more things in the area. It's so beautiful up there!

  19. #19
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    Janome gets my vote. I have three. That said, I would try several machines and make sure the dealer is responsible and knows his product. that is important. I deal with Pocono Sew and Vac in Stroudsburg Pa. they are great people. It is about 1 1/2 hr away from me and they have a great line of fabric and supplies. they sell all kinds of machines in all price ranges.
    A friend of mine highly recommends that shop, even though it's about a 5 hour drive for us. Glad to hear someone else likes the shop as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.