Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do? >

What should I do?

What should I do?

Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 AM

Yes, label all your tools. One rotary cutter or ruler looks like another. Keep track of them.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 AM

To be honest, I don't do my best sewing at retreats, but they sure are fun! I would take what you feel like working on. It's probably best to have things cut out in advance and I wouldn't recommend a complicated pattern that you have to really concentrate on. There is much laughter and talking and you want to enjoy all that as well as sewing.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Red face

Thanks all for replying to my question about the QUILT RETREAT (not guilt, although some quilt police are horrible, and always seem to be less experienced!). Anyway I have decided to take both UFO's and find a fun project for me there. This is only 3 full days, run by a wonderfully talented lady, right next to a fabric store with everything, plenty of space for cutting, pressing, etc. and best of all good friends.
Now, tell us about quilt retreats you have attended please.

Last edited by LenaBeena; 02-12-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:29 AM

I attend a couple of retreats each year. Although space is limited many ladies bring a small folding table and compact iron which they set up next to their sewing space so they aren't hopping up to go to one of the ironing stations. I always bring several projects with me including something I know I can finish quickly; I call it instant gratification, usually it's a table runner size. If there's a technique you aren't sure of a retreat is a good time to work on it, usually someone else attending has experience and can help you. And as someone else mentioned, make up kits before you go. In my experience there's nothing worse than someone using the limited cutting mats for hours at a time. Have fun!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

My neighbor goes on retreat every couple years when it nears her birthday. She usually has her projects ready for sewing, already cut. She only needs to assemble but she also takes embroidery for her quilts and some hand quilting projects.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:54 AM

I go to a quilt treat every November. I usually bring several projects to keep me busy. If I take a new project, I will do all my cutting at home. Keep your projects simple and varied. I bring paper piecing, redwork, even a quilt to bind, quilts that have the blocks made and need to be put together and quilts cut for a simpler pattern. Our retreats are usually lots of chatter, laughter and eating so anything too complicated stays home
Old 02-13-2017, 04:37 AM

I have not yet had the pleasure of attending a quilt retreat...I would only take one of the UFO's if it was still in the piecing stage, but if it only needs a binding or border, I would leave it for home. I agree with Brandonsnana and I would imagine it would be cumbersome hauling a large quilt around and maneuvering on a sewing space you might be limited to.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:56 AM

Lucky you! I usu take projects that are already cut & ready to sew. That way, if there are limited cutting or ironing tables, you won't miss any time sewing. Of course, if you do get to wait for an ironing or cutting table, you can always make a new quilting friend & learn lots of stuff. Take whatever makes you happy doing. And be prepared w/extra machine needles, thread, bobbins, cuter blades, etc. Stuff even happens at retreats but I would be there would be others quilters who would be willing to share. Take chocolate too. Just have fun & let us see what you've done. Kathy
Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 AM

All the replies in this post are great! I attend two retreats every year. I prepare a few "kits" and rotate working on them. When I find myself getting a bit sleepy or tired working on a project, I switch to another one,kinda like going back and forth.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:36 AM

If your finishing a project already started includes free motion quilting I would pass on that, My experience with retreats is you will not have the space needed. I would look for some small projects for yourself or gifts, Table topper, small wall hanging?