Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What should I do?

you probably would not be able to match the hand quilting and the back would never change and would bug you for all time..be thankful you love the top. Take out the hand quilting find a new back and be thrilled with your new quilt.

You have great ideas. Take it apart, and then make it your own. You will enjoy it for many years to come~

I would do exactly what you want to do....good luck and have fun.

Blog Entries
    I would use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 instead of Warm n Natural. The quilt will be softer.

[quote=jeanequilts]I bought a partially hand quilted quilt. It is a mini trips around the world, made of older fabrics. Some look to be feed sack, but some are newer (1940's).

Just wanted to say that feed sack fabric was available well into the 1950's. I was born in 1946, and remember eagerly waiting for the feed delivery man so that I could get first choice of the sack material I wanted him to leave. Then having to fight with my sisters over calling dibs on the ones I wanted first. I was probably around 10 at that time.
    If none of us females were around to pick the sacks we want left, then he would without fail drop off the ugliest ones that no one else would pick.

Power Poster
    From your description I would take out the hand quilting, and start with just the top and make a brand new start.

Absolutely remove the hand quilting and get a new backing and batting! :thumbup:

Dee
    I'd put new on the quilt. A stain that old may not come out and then to the fabric could shred on you. Happened to me . All I had left was strings. :mrgreen:

i think the plan you have is the way i would go with it

I would take it apart , safe the top but then tie it since you don't hand quilt.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would go with what you have planed. What a treasure you are saving. God bless. Penny

Thanks Jeanequilts for posting that question! I too have a quilt top that is partially machine-sewn and handquilted...was wondering if it's safe to put in batting and backing with it like this? This top was made like 10 yrs ago from a elderly lady in a nursing home & i would like to keep it as the way she made it with her own hands!

Quote Originally Posted by nwm50
    Thanks Jeanequilts for posting that question! I too have a quilt top that is partially machine-sewn and handquilted...was wondering if it's safe to put in batting and backing with it like this? This top was made like 10 yrs ago from a elderly lady in a nursing home & i would like to keep it as the way she made it with her own hands!
    this did not have a backing on it.

I would definitely pick out the quilting and put a new backing on. I do not care for sheet backing anyway as they were usually a different thread count than the feed sack fabric. I also remember feed sack and flour sack fabric way past WWII. Good luck. A nice piece of wide domestic would make a backing more in character with the timeframe only they were not lucky enough to have wide fabric. It saves the seams and will be easier. They have it on sale at our local Hancocks from time to time. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I like your plan .. No reason not to take out the hand quilting and make it yours :thumbup:
    I agree. Good luck.

Seems to me that taking off the back, and finishing it nicely is the ultimate recycling. Go for it. I did something similar with a quilt I had already made for one of my grandsons. I had machine quilted it, and it was sloppy. a few years later, I took out all the machine stitches, and requilted it by hand--looked so much better to me, although he didn't care!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2