Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do? >

What should I do?

What should I do?

Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 AM

Knitting,crocheting or making caps out of fleece are always welcome for a cancer patient. Knots of Love has patterns for knitting and knotting, which the writer of the web site calls crocheting. I just made three for a friend and another friend made her some out of fleece. There is a pattern available for the fleece caps. The recipient was so grateful.

Carol J.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:19 AM

I agree - a fleece blanket would be quick, washable and warm - Nancy Zieman on Sewing with Nancy just had a video on doing quick fleece blankets - she was demonstrating tools - one was like a rotary cutter that made the holes equal distance apart for blanket stitching and another was just like a decorative cutter - I am sorry to hear about your friend but we will keep her in our prayers.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 AM

A fleece blanket with tied edges is quick to make, very attractive, and lightweight. You need 2 fleece fabrics - contrasting fabrics look best. One fabric is for the top, and one is for the back which makes them reversible. Make 4-5" cuts into the fleece along the edges on both fabrics. Align them and make a knotted tie (make sure it lies flat) with each set of strips. Experiment with length of strips to get the size correct for the look you want to achieve.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by quilt_happy
I just found out my piano teacher has cancer and so I want to make her something quick. Do you have any ideas that would come in handy during her chemo?
Thanks in advance.
Lap quilt or tote. Iam a cancer survivor of 3 years, the chemo sometimes makes you cold, my onc. office had blankets but your own lapquilt would be so nice. A tote to carry book, snacks water would also be nice since I never went without those things. Usually with all the anti nausea stuff you don't get too sick, but I always had an uneasy stomach and so took crackers and chocolate, they helped to settle tummy.
Head covers are good for when the hairloss starts usually about 17 days after start of chemo, although not everyone does lose hair, depends on the type of chemo.
Your are very thoughtful and I am sure your friend will appreciate any gesture you offer. Sometimes just being a good listener and not avoiding your "cancer" friend means a lot. I was very fortunate to have a large support group of family and friends.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by adudek
how about a quillow. a quilt that folds up to a pillow.
Great idea!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3
I went thru chemo last year. I wasn't cold during treatments, but sure was after. Each type of chemo causes different side effects. Some are cold during treatment, some after. After each treatment I would freeze to the point my whole body would shake. Thankfully I had a nice fleece snuglet. I had made myself one with the arms. Fleece is nice & soft, very cuddly & not too heavy. I made mine nice & long so I could wrap my feet in it as well. I could stay wrapped up, but yet reach for things without uncovering. It was great. If you make one I'd get non-pill fleece. This is a pdf instruction for making one:
http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingro...thesnuglet.pdf
Hope you are doing well.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 AM

My suggestion is to make her a quillow (a blanket that folds into a pocket that you sew on the front centre of the blanket at the bottom). I made one for my sister out of fleece when she had cancer and she absolutely love it. It only takes about an afternoon to make and is very easy to take along when she goes for treatments.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 AM

When my niece was going through chemo etc. I did a flannel quilt for her. (wool batting) She said it was wonderful to cuddle up in, as she was always very cold after a treatment.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 AM

I am also in a quilt ministry at Saddleback Church and we make quilts for babies in the hospital and many for our missionaries to take on trips and for the sick. They really seem to be enjoyed. Bless you for what you do through your church too.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:24 AM

I know my quilt has made and contributed what they call Chemo blankets to be used dring the therapy. Apparently, it's just a pretty cotton width of about 2yds enveloped with flannel for the back - very quick and easy - no batting just a litttle fun stitching, shouldn't even need binding. I would just topstitch the edge after turning. I am going to make one for myself with flannel ad fleece.