Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do? >

What should I do?

What should I do?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Qwiltylady
When my sister went through chemo I made her an entire wardrobe of Fleece hats. They keep the head warm and cover the loss of hair very nicely and there are many free patterns on the internet. They only take a few minutes and she loved the fact that she could match whatever he was wearing with a different hat! When she passed away her local Hospice asked her husband if he would donate all her pretty hats to them for other cancer patients. He did and I still make them for our local cancer patient care center.
I made hats for my DDIL when she had cancer but lost the pattern. Could you please let me know where to get your pattern???
Thank you
Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM

A fleese blanket would be great. My sister made me one to use during my chemo and it was great. If you want to have it more fancy crochet a border around the material. Plain for a boy or man and crochet a lacy look for a female. So much fun to make.I make the fleese blankets for baby shower gifts and then get a stuffed animal to match the blanket.

Connie
Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 PM

a flannel rag quilt would be warm and fast to make
Old 10-20-2010, 05:09 PM

How 'bout this darling tote bag to take her "stuff" with her?
http://tipnut.com/piano-bag/
Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Maybe something backed with Minky (it's so soft and nice to feel).
Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 PM

great ideas!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Great idea...I understand the tie part in the quilt itself but how do you do it on the borders or edge w/o a binding?
I'm in a knitting group right now and we're making prayer shawls,for cancer patients..at the hospital I work at..
Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by kim_s
I volunteer at the quilt ministry at my church. We make quilts for church members (or their friends and family) that have a serious life threatening illness. We place ties in the quilt in place of binding and quilting. As we tie the ties we pray for the person. We make lap quilts that are typically 48 x 60.

Blessings,
Kim
I also make prayer quilts for our church's chapter of Prayers and Squares. Warm Wishes and Rail Fence are both very easy patterns and are very quick to make. It is very comforting and uplifting to receive a quilt knowing that it has been made with love and tied with prayers. I'm sure your friend will appreciate and welcome your kind gesture.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 PM

When I lived in Ottawa, I belonged to Victoria Quilting Guild, we made quilts for cancer patients, we always did the backing with flannel so they would be warm. It was such a good feeling knowing all your work would be loved and a comfort to those going through it. When my Dad was diagnosed with leukemia, I made him a big block rag quilt made of flannel and he never was without it and told me every day how nice and warm it kept him. He got to use it for 8 months........
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

perhaps just a comforting word and another great idea would be a meal prepared for her and her family!!!a small lap quilt would be a wonderful gift but just letting her know how wonderful she is - is the best gift of all!!!!