Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I use to... >

What should I use to...

What should I use to...

Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM

moonpi - you were 30 seconds before me,lol
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM

When the children color the quilts you can use regular coloring crayons and not have to buy the fabric ones. I did this type of project with school children. After coloring the fabric and ironing it (use old paper bags to protect your iron and board) the children can add more color if it is not dark enough. Then reiron.

These are fun projects to do. I am working on a pillow now where I outlined embroidered the design and colored the inside parts.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

While they freezer paper is on the fabric, you can draw out the outlines, then use some heavy weight black thread, shorten the stitch length and sew around the black outlines. This helps keep the kids within the lines, and the black thread also will help keep the paint/ink from bleeding over if they hold it too long close to the edges :wink: the heavy black cotton thread acts like a wick, soaking up the extra.
Shortening the stitch length helps to remove the freezer paper once you are done with the blocks.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by amma
While they freezer paper is on the fabric, you can draw out the outlines, then use some heavy weight black thread, shorten the stitch length and sew around the black outlines. This helps keep the kids within the lines, and the black thread also will help keep the paint/ink from bleeding over if they hold it too long close to the edges :wink: the heavy black cotton thread acts like a wick, soaking up the extra.
Shortening the stitch length helps to remove the freezer paper once you are done with the blocks.
That's a cool idea to stitch over the outline. Why didn't I think of that??? LOL
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Brilliant!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Ironing freezer paper on the back will keep the fabric positioned for both markers and crayons.
i was going to suggest that too..it makes it easier to draw/color on the fabric.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 AM

Another place to find the pigma pens is at Dick Blick (an art supply store.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 AM

The pigma pens work very well. Sometimes I can use a Sharpie with a thin point like a pen but be sure to it out first on your white fabric because Sharpies tend to bled onto the fabric before you can heat set it.

One more thing to think about, make sure that the pictures are drawn well within the fabric square so that there is a good seam allowance, I'd say at least 1 inch all around the square. You don't want to sew some of the picture into the seam allowance.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Our Girl Scout troop decorated pillowcases with Crayola crayons, but any wax-based crayons will work. You can also use a fine to medium grit sandpaper sheet to keep the fabric from shifting if you don't have freezer paper. Just let them color to their hearts' content. Remember, the more crayon, the deeper the color, so make sure they press the crayon firmly on the fabric. Place several layers of newspaper covered with a white papertowel on your ironing board and place the fabric crayon side down on the paper. We actually turned the pillowcases inside out and put the newspaper inside them. Place another papertowel on the wrong side of your fabric (to protect your iron) and press with a hot DRY iron. This will melt the wax and set the color.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Why don't you just let them draw pictures with whatever they usually use, then scan them in and print them on the fabric sheets that go thru the printer?