Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should the Label Say >

What should the Label Say

What should the Label Say

Old 12-31-2018, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Default What should the Label Say

I have a dilemma. I was asked by the daughters of my former brother in law who has passed to make a quilt from his shirts for his wife. I am almost done. Here is the thing. I was married to his brother, we got divorced, my ex, the second wife forbade contact and it was easier for all to do that. The ex passed first and then we all reconnected. Even though I am married to Mr. Stitchnripper, I kept the last name of my ex, because it is the same as my children. So, I want the label to say "In Loving Memory of John Doe, 1-1-11 to 2-2-22". My quilting friends say I need to put my name on it. I hesitate because I am not really a part of that family, although my sons are first cousins to their daughters and they are all close and Mr. Stitchnripper and I are back in contact with them. So to put my name with same last name I think would confuse things down the road. To put my first name and Mr. Stitchnripper's last name would confuse things even further because no one would know who that is.

So, please help me out. What to put on the label!
Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2018, 03:51 PM

Perhaps you could add just your first name to the quilt? You certainly do have a dilemma.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

you could just add "requested by his loving daughters". something like that. it needn't require your name. they will say who made if if anyone asks.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Use a hyphen between your two last names. With technology anyone can can look up who you are/were decades from now.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:12 PM

Or you could sort of combine the two previous suggestions to ^^^^^'s Loving daughters requested that Auntie **** make this quilt for you.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:16 PM

Agree with Onebyone's suggestion to use a hyphen and both names. You still have family connections and should have your name on the quilt.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:02 PM
e4

Don’t make this so complicated. “For Jane Does in loving memory of John Doe, 1-1-1 to 2-2-2. Made by request of his daughters by Aunt Betty.” You ARE a part of their family - your children are their cousins which makes you their Aunt, ex or not. Use “Aunt First Name” - that will make it clear who made it for fututre generations who won’t care about the family drama that has passed.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I never put labels on my quilts.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I never put labels on my quilts.
Artists most always sign their work, why not you?
Old 01-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Maybe just put your name as the maker of the quilt. For sure you do have a dilemma but I think it is easier than you feel. Doesn't sound like there are any uneasiness between families and that everyone is in contact so I don't feel there would be any bad feelings anymore.