Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Okay, I tried the commercial iron cleaner that comes in a tube and it got off some. Please understand.. I used the WHOLE tube trying to get this stuff off!! Then I used the iron again and everything that was left on (which was a lot) turned a deep brown and decided to "stain" the whites in the block I was ironing. Luckily I was able to get most of it off the fabric. The iron is toast. So, what's this about sea salt? I can't buy another iron, even if I do get them from discount stores (any of you on the east coast know Building 19!!!).
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM

This past year my sister decided that we would do the mystery quilt from our quild together. When we got ready to start, she suggested I make my own using from our stash. Her's was from the charity fabric of the guild. The mystery quilts are finished off by the charity group, then donated. Anyway, I had so much trouble with mine; I think it had a mind of it's own. I finally got it all together, boarders on and we were showing them to our aunt when my dear sis pointed out that I had the pattern wrong!!!! There were certain small squares that made a particular design----mine had different small squares that made the design. I was going to tear it out and redo it, but my sis said no---so mine is Variation #1
Old 08-07-2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
I have quilted my project to my nightie,,,and once I went to Walmart and when I went to write a check,saw that I was wearing my thimble...DUH!!
Your thimble must really be a good fit. I've gone to the store wearing my tape measure around my neck.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 PM

judithb! Speaking of boobs. Does anyone remember the old time wringer washing machines? When I was a kid, one of my grandmother's friends was doing the wash. yep, it happened, she caught just the "nose", luckly she was able to hit the red release bar. She was sore for several days.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 AM

I too have stitched my outfit to the project. I am very curious as to how the fraystop was removed from the poor innocent machine that was oiled with it, that would be a large problem!
I have also managed to enclose safety pins and straight pins inside my quilt, then had to perform surgery to remove them before continuing the project. Not to mention reaching into a tool tote at a sewing bee and putting my hand on a scalpel style seam ripper that had slipped out of its holster. That was messy! At the next quilt club at our LQS the notion of the month was a special hard case in which to carry sharps. Needless to say I purchased one immediately.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by billswife99
Well I still have to sew and cut at my kitchen table. So I have my old mat for fleece and my new bigger mat for cottons. I was cutting fleece on my smaller mat and put a nice straight line all the way across my new kitchen table. Holy Cow! Hubby was going to be mad! So I just laid my new bigger mat on top of it and it took weeks for him to finally see it. :oops:
I had my cutting mat on my husband's pool table and was having fine old time using my rotary cutter until it slipped off the mat and put about an inch slice in the NEW green felt on the table. Never confessed, not gonna either! It was still there when I sold it when we moved over here several years later.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Glad to hear that Iam not the only one who does very "creative" things. I have done most of what all of you have mentioned. Almost cut off the end of my finger while cutting, still have the scar. Do the sell armour plated gloves for rotary cutting?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 PM

They do sell special fine chain mail gloves for buthchers to wear, perhaps you could google a source for those and test drive them while sewing or cutting!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Dawn, maybe that would be a great sewing notion, sewing protectors, chainmail gloves. Never know, someone will come up with something similar and make a million. $$$ My son gave me baker's oven gloves, they come up to my elbow and are they great for taking roasting pans, cookie sheets, etc from the oven. Protects better then a potholder.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/428.page

The Klutz glove has been discussed here before. I know Fons & Porters always use them.