Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 PM

Oh, I thought of another dumb thing I did. Has anyone else ever put 2 (yes, TWO) blades in their rotary cutter at the same time and used the cutter to cut numerous strips, and couldn't figure out why there was constantly an extra little cut and shred of fabric dangling in the center of the strips? I couldn't understand it because I'd just changed my blade. I think the package came with two blades, and the oil on them made them stick together, so I put both in the cutter. I won't tell you how long it took me to figure out the problem...I just kept trimming the strips to even them up and some eventually became too small and I had to recut...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Well I still have to sew and cut at my kitchen table. So I have my old mat for fleece and my new bigger mat for cottons. I was cutting fleece on my smaller mat and put a nice straight line all the way across my new kitchen table. Holy Cow! Hubby was going to be mad! So I just laid my new bigger mat on top of it and it took weeks for him to finally see it. :oops:
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 AM

I love this thread as well. I do not feel as dumb now. I thought I was the only one who made these types of mistakes. I will always remember this while I am sewing from now on. :P
Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 AM

I've done almost all that you have mentioned (minus the fray check, but I HAVE destroyed several machines in other ways), but one thing that hasn't been mentioned..I was ironing steam a seam to some appliques and...yup, the adhesive ironed onto the iron. It ruined the plate as I was never able to get most of it off. It now sits in the box of the new iron I had to buy. Oh and I was doing appliques and... damn, you think I'd learn.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 AM

OMG! I have done almost all of these, but never expected to see this one. Yes I did the same thing, 2 blades in the rotary cutter. Wondered why it wasn't cutting "right". As with computer mishaps, it's nearly always operator error. Love starting my day off with a big, and in this case, constant laugh! I feel so much more normal now!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Oh, my word! What did it do? Did you have to take it in to be cleaned?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 AM

LOL! I've done that! :D
Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Well, I have one just a little better (or worse!) than that. I sewed my finger to the quilt with my long arm machine. After yelling for help for a few minutes, I realized I was alone and that no one was going to be there to get me out of my predicament... So, somehow, I managed to turn the hand wheel and free myself. It didn't even break the needle! but I sure had a sore finger for awhile. Since then, I make sure I have my cell phone in my right hand pocket, just in case that should ever happen again!!! :roll:
Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 AM

I am laughing so hard. I'm not alone in doing silly things while sewing, I have a support group out there who do the same things. All this time I thought something was wrong with me, well maybe there is, but the sewing funnies, I've done them. Probably continue to do them: sewed my sleeve to the quilt block, sewn a line of blocks and discover no more bobbin thread, wonder why an unplugged sewing machine won't work, got pattern pieces mixed up and discovered it after they got sewn together and my list could go on and on. Hugs everyone!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 AM

One of the worst things I ever did was to grab my mini-iron by the wrong end - ouch. That taught me not to try sewing past midnight!