Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Originally Posted by kwhite
I have sewed the clothes I was wearing to the project.
:lol:
I'm sorry.... but I laughed so hard coke nearly came out my nose when I read this! LOL

I can imagine how embarassing that would be!

My worst (so far) is sewing a pile of about 30 or 40 hst, chain piecing, one after the other, the whole lot of them, then discovering the bobbin ran out halfway down the first one.
I have to ask this because I cant figure it out and I am sure once you tell me what this stands for I am going to feel pretty silly, but here goes....what dose "hst" stand for? I know its something simple, I can feel it...lol :oops: :P :roll:
Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 PM

The silliest thing I have ever done while sewing is sew something not just the wrong side, but also upside down....I took it all out and started over.....a few days later... :lol: :lol:
tammy g
Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 PM

I signed up for my very first quilt class ever.
I was so excited when I arrived at the class.
Unfortunately I discovered that I had left my sewing machine sitting patiently at home.
Duh.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tammyg

I have to ask this because I cant figure it out and I am sure once you tell me what this stands for I am going to feel pretty silly, but here goes....what dose "hst" stand for? I know its something simple, I can feel it...lol :oops: :P :roll:
HST - half square triangles - it really doesn't make sense to me either, but it's two triangles sewn together that make a square - it just dawned on me - one of those triangles is half a square - but it's a square cut on the diagonal

QST - quarter square triangles - four of these make a square -

The HST and QST are the same shape - a 45, 45, and 90 degree triangle.

The difference is - the straight of grain is along the long edge on the QST
- and the HST long edge is on the bias

Clear as mud?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by tammyg

HST - half square triangles - it really doesn't make sense to me either, but it's two triangles sewn together that make a square - it just dawned on me - one of those triangles is half a square - but it's a square cut on the diagonal

QST - quarter square triangles - four of these make a square -

The HST and QST are the same shape - a 45, 45, and 90 degree triangle.

The difference is - the straight of grain is along the long edge on the QST
- and the HST long edge is on the bias

Clear as mud?
thank you so much...I feel real silly now :oops: I have been showing my star quilts that i made out of 1/2 squares..... :P thanks for the info...
tammy g
Old 08-01-2009, 03:49 PM
kpc

I was machine quilting my oldest son's eagle quilt and sewed my finger to the quilt. The needle bent in my machine and I had to take a pair of wire cutters I so happen to have near and cut the needle into to release my finger, my youngest son came on the house while I was stuck and saw me, he ran out of the house leaving me to get free on my own. :roll: I pulled batting out of my finger for a few minutes :lol:
Old 08-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by kpc
I was machine quilting my oldest son's eagle quilt and sewed my finger to the quilt. The needle bent in my machine and I had to take a pair of wire cutters I so happen to have near and cut the needle into to release my finger, my youngest son came on the house while I was stuck and saw me, he ran out of the house leaving me to get free on my own. :roll: I pulled batting out of my finger for a few minutes :lol:
OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! I have a similar story of my electric drill and my index finger, but I'll spare you the details.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I've laughed all the way through this thread...but my fingers, knees and well..other parts are all feeling sympathy pain! I know from experience just how much also...you know how you pull up your bobbin thread from the back when you are quilting...well, I was doing that at the end of a run so I could cut the bobbin thread and I stuck my finger directly into the spot where the needle went down. DUH.....sewing injury...and people ask how in the world... :oops:
Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 PM

More mis-sewn blocks (yes, even same one 2 or 3 x) than I care to admit..

One rotary cutter accident, couldn't believe it as I am extremely careful. Wouldn't have believed it except for blood all over - while finger was still in shock and before pain set in.

While finishing a quilt for my niece, I was using a pair of applique scissors instead of a seam ripper to take out a part of the quilting I wasn't happy with. Cut into the flipping top, leaving about a 1/2" cut.

Most recently: Couldn't figure out why machine was balking. Yes, I was sewing through many layers on my Professional Tote, but still... Oh, what's that? My beautiful purple cutting mat had been picked up with the fabric and I'd sewn several stitches through it. Drat!!

Still, I think Bearisgray wins, not once but twice over!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I think I've done everything (to some degree) but sew through my cutting mat