Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM

I was making squares in a square blocks today...chain piecing one corner. Got down to the last round, went to pick up the corner of the next block, there wasn't one on the stack. Looked at the block I was supposed to sew in to and saw what looked like I had sewen the last piece wrong sides together. what it was I had picked up two pieces and sewed as one. Had to do some snipping and resewing.

Someone mentioned using an industrial machine and got the cat tail in the bobbin winder. (which I thought was so funny!) Anyway, I used to use an industrial machine with the bobbin winder that would wind bobbins while you sewed. Sometimes I would cut the thread and not start winding a new bobbin. The thread would drop down and get caught around the pulley of the motor and I wouldn't realize it until I needed to wind more bobbins. If you haven't ever tried to get thread off the shaft of the pulley to the motor, good for you. Gets kind of hard once it starts packing in to the motor.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Besides putting the machine needle through my finger, I took my machine to the shop to get fixed, I couldn't get the feed dog back up . I didn't know that it would go back automataly by turning it on.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 PM

I also did some chain piecing for about 30 minutes and realized I was out of bobbin thread. I also have sewn my shirt tail to the underside of the quilt. I also grabbed up the wrong filled white bobbin and used it.....and then when checking the back of the quilt, saw it was kinda shiny. It was my bobbin thread for my embroidery machine.

rip it...rip it...rip it.......I'm an expert at that.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Power Poster

OH NO LMBO I guess I can laugh about these things...as long as I keep posting my own too, right? :D :D :D
Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the humor! It is nice to know my mistakes are not just mine. I'll think of all of you when I'm ripping out my next mistake :lol: (a daily occurence :roll: )
Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 AM

Ok Boston 1954--I don't know if I was dumb or what? Went to a quilting retreat and my sewing machine kicked the bucket the first day....a lady that lived near by took me to get her spare from her home. I don't even take a class (unless the shop used their machines) without having a spare in the trunk of the car or some hand work that can be done. By the way I brought the Featherweight home. took it apart, still didn't know what was wrong, put it together and it sewed just fine and I'm still using it.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:18 PM

I thought I'd share my silly thing today. Evidently I set a bottle of Bondini (which is like super glue!) on my cutting mat. I know I've used the stuff before in a class, I just can't remember for what. I figured I would leave the bottle out and that would be a reminder to take it with me to my quilt group this morning and ask if anyone else remembers what it was for. Well...I was moving stuff around to find something, set some stuff on my cutting board and forgot all about the bottle of Bondini. Of course it fell over and leaked out all over my cutting mat. Did I manage to find it before it dried - heck no!

So guess who is taking her 40% off coupon and heading over to Joann's with hubby once he gets home from work. :? Heck of a way to get a new cutting mat! :roll:
Old 12-04-2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 3incollege
Besides putting the machine needle through my finger, I took my machine to the shop to get fixed, I couldn't get the feed dog back up . I didn't know that it would go back automataly by turning it on.
That's really funny! what did the repair person say?!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewfunquilts
I also did some chain piecing for about 30 minutes and realized I was out of bobbin thread. I also have sewn my shirt tail to the underside of the quilt. I also grabbed up the wrong filled white bobbin and used it.....and then when checking the back of the quilt, saw it was kinda shiny. It was my bobbin thread for my embroidery machine.

rip it...rip it...rip it.......I'm an expert at that.
i love the shirt tail in the quilt!

I quilted the edges of a quilt underneath itself because I wasn't paying attention - spent a LONG TIME ripping those seams out - and it was when I was newer at it, so there were a LOT of little tiny stitches in there to rip!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewfunquilts

I quilted the edges of a quilt underneath itself because I wasn't paying attention
When hand quilting I have quilted the backing scrap onto the back of my quilt. No so hard to snip out hand quilting, not as hard as going through the extra thickness of the extra backing fabric which was usually folded.