Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size to cut scraps? >

What size to cut scraps?

What size to cut scraps?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:08 PM

I cut anything less than a yard down. I start with FQs, Then squares of 12-1/2" and 6-1/2" that I can stitch together quickly for a simple quilt or backing. I also use the 6-1/2" quite often for small scrappy blocks for my DJ and 365 quilts.

From there, I move on to 5" squares and 5" x 2-1/2" bricks for some nickel quilts I would like to make. Then cut into 3-1/2", 2-1/2" and 2" squares. I use these a lot as L/E's. I used to do 3" squares, but stopped because I find I don't really use them much.

Any strippy trimmings between 1-2" go into a bin for strip quilts. After that, "larger" bits go in a box for crumb quilts, and anything under 1" square goes into a bag to use as filler for puppy beds.

I'm not a big fan of jelly roll quilts, and scraps aren't enough to do the sashing or a border on an entire quilt, so I do not cut long strips.

I really like totally random scrappies, so I keep everything sorted by size, not by color.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 AM

I cut 5", 2.5" squares and 2.5 " strips mostly. I used to cut 10" squares, 6.5" squares, 4" squares and 3" squares but found after time that use the 5 and 2.5 options WAY more often than any of the others. This is based only on what I found I use the most. No particular rhyme or reason. I also keep the scraps from my bias binding. I use them as binding on scrappy quilts.

When I have scraps smaller than 2.5" or long trimmings that are say less than 2.5, I drop them in a grocery bag and when the bag sets full I use them as stuffing for donation dog bed for the local shelter. So I am "throwing out" small scraps but they are being used rather than being turned into trash in a landfill.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 AM

I took a laundry hamper jam packed with odd scraps and cut them all into 1.5 strips for string quilts. Now I have 3 large Sterlite drawers full of stings and work a little each day turning them into quilt blocks. Anything that was a string but small than the 1.5 I kept in another drawer to make rope baskets.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:09 AM

I use the precuts as a guide. I don't buy precuts, but I always can find patterns that use them, so I use my Studio 2 to cut strips and squares in the same sizes that Moda precuts come in. I have them in plastic see-through shoe boxes sorted and ready to go. The shoe boxes are cheap and they stack nicely under my sewing room furniture and in bookshelves.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I'm not a big scrap saver but I do have some. I don't cut them until I have something in mind to do with them.
This is what I do as well. I am currently working on a modified pattern of Arkansas Crossroads, and as I had 2 full days where I was waiting in a motel room for friends out snowmobiling (I couldn't go on the trails this year due to health and my husband didn't want to go on the trip without me), I took my scrap bin, and cutting supplies - tamed that huge bin down into a manageable shoe box of larger but less than fat quarter size pieces I didn't want to cut into 2 1/2 inch squares and a large zip loc full of squares. I also had a kitchen garbage size bag of scraps that were less than 2 1/2 inches but at least 1 inch square for a friend who is collecting them. The tinier than 1 inch scraps went to a bag for a group that stuffs dog and cat beds for rescue. Not much went to waste!
And it feels so good to have the squares ready to go. I think I've attached a link to an image.

http://quiltingdigest.com/raid-your-...-lovely-quilt/
Old 02-03-2019, 08:07 AM

I keep a bin of 2 1/2” squares to use for enders/leaders, a bin of strings and a bin of crumbs...other than that, I do not cut anything down to a particular size until I’m ready to use it. I do have my scraps sort of in color groups.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

i enjoy cutting.

i store my little pieces of similar color in the plastic boxes - i try to keep them flat so they will not require ironing when i might want to use them.

i dislike cutting my " bigger" pieces until i have something definite in mind to use them for.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 AM

So, I'm 30-35 years into quilting. So far all of my scraps have just been thrown into a scrap pile. I used to have a chest that I made bins for out of canvas. Green, red and blue. Now I have the regular fabric tub and the batik tub. Also have a strip box. I don't know what I'm going to do with all those scraps. So how could I cut it all up now??
Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 AM

You could know, going forward what you'll likely use, by looking backward.
Your last 10 or 15 quilts used what size strips or squares? Cut accordingly.

For me, I'm never going to use a 3.5 square in my quilts, totally enormous.
I have in the past cut 1.5" squares happily, from the smallest bits but I have a suitcase full of 2" four patches now, so am consigning those bits now to the trashbin of well earned retirement.

I do cut 1.5" strips though and use them a lot in colors I need at the moment.
So 2" and 2.5" are what I cut to, strips or squares.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:28 AM

I has been really interesting to read how people deal with scrap fabric in their different ways. I think I was more worried about getting the largest size out of a scrap so as not to be wasting any, but that has given me so many sizes that I guess some will be wasted (or cut smaller) as they are the 'wrong size'.

Interestingly, no one has mentioned the 7" square that I saw some blogger include in her sizes to cut. Why would that be a size to keep?