Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size is most useful? >

What size is most useful?

What size is most useful?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
four 2.5 inch squares sewn together would only make a 4.5 inch square (unfinished size)
I thought about that after I posted. Guess I didn't have enough coffee on the brain at the time! It takes a lot of coffee to help me do simple math.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 PM

If you are cutting squares - the least I would cut is 2.5 in. squares. Personally I don't cut them down unless I have an actual plan on how to use it. I keep my fabric separated by colors and types.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 PM

You might think about this from the 'other direction'? What patterns do you use most frequently for scraps?

I have a couple of go to patterns for quick scrap quilts and cut left-overs accordingly. The first option is a 6.5" square that can be used uncut with 9 patches of 2.5" squares or a square within a square made with 2.5" strips.

Rather than cutting into squares, I generally save strips of various widths. 2.5" goes in a box with left over binding and can be cut later into squares, bricks or strips for log cabins, scrappy binding etc.

5" charms are always useful. 3.5" squares go with four patches of 2" squares but I have stopped keeping these.

I keep 1.5" and 1" strips for string blocks.

Not wanting to waste any scrap of fabric, I used to cut into more sizes, but found it over complicated things and I had fewer of any size when I came to using them. The important thing is to use scraps rather than collect them. A lesson that took me a while to learn!!
Old 07-10-2019, 03:35 AM

I leave my scrap pieces folded into what larger piece is left from a project. It's a lot easier to find in the stash. Sometimes there's that short piece of binding or sashing that is perfect for just the bit I need but I wouldn't go searching for a small piece if it was hidden among other small pieces in a box or sack.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:33 AM

I think it depends on what you like to quilt - bigger or smaller blocks? applique? I keep 2", 2.5", strings, selvages, and even triangles (future HSTs). I like to make scrappy quilts. The 2.5" squares have been useful for applique, and sometimes I use the 2" squares for appliqued circles, too. Right now I'm on a string kick, but I also have an ongoing selvage sampler in the works.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:45 PM

Ooh. I forgot about selvedges, I have a box of them waiting for inspiration. Some of my quilty friends save them for me and I really have to bite my tongue when I see people not taking them off before they cut fabric.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 PM

Our guild is having a sew a long next week using a Debby Brown pattern; those participating have handed in 800 2 1/2 inch squares, which will then be mixed up and distributed to those in attendance. This will make for a VERY scrappy quilt, 80” x 80”. I am looking forward to it!. so I would say cut them 2 1/2 inch squares.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
Ooh. I forgot about selvedges, I have a box of them waiting for inspiration. Some of my quilty friends save them for me and I really have to bite my tongue when I see people not taking them off before they cut fabric.
I was saving my edges for a lady that used them to make a Halloween quilt and she sewed them together to make the Mummy. So very cute! Wish i had the picture but it was a picture on a website several years ago.